Free Settler or Felon

Search Result

Search


First Name



Surname / Subject



Ship








Search Results



<<  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  
 
Item: 161644
Surname: Windeyer (obit.,)
First Name: Walter Orton
Ship: -
Date: 8 March 1879
Place: Wantabadgery
Source: Maitland Mercury
Details: The regret that we feel in announcing the death of Mr. Walter Orton Windeyer, of Wantabadgery, will be shared by everyone residing in this district. An old resident, honoured by all who knew him, he has passed from amongst us, and so suddenly that but few could realise the fact that he, whom they had but a day or two ago seen in their midst, apparently in the full possession of health, had gone "beyond the river." On Friday last, the deceased gentleman left Wagga for Wantabadgery station, with the intention of returning on the following day. Business matters, however, detained him longer. On Sunday night he retired to rest to all appearance in perfect health. At an early hour on Monday morning, his nephew, Mr. Henry S. Eldershaw, who occupied an adjoining room, heard him moaning, and upon going to his bedside, found him insensible. Up to the time of his death, which occurred at ten o'clock, he never spoke, although he recovered partial consciousness. The cause of the lamented gentleman's death was epilepsy. Mrs. Windeyer and family were in Wagga at the time of the sad occurrence, and with them, in their deep affliction, it is needless to say that the sincerest sympathy is felt. In his case it is no mere figure of speech to say that he died universally regretted; genial in disposition, kind of heart, he lived respected and loved, bearing throughout without a stain "the grand old name of gentleman." The late Mr. Windeyer was an old resident in the district, having come to Wantabadgery in 1856. His remains, in accordance with the wishes of his widow, were interred beside those of his first wife in a private cemetery at Wantabadgery. By his desire, expressed some time before his death, the impressive service of the Freemasons, of which body he was an old and valued member, was performed at the grave by the R.W. Master of the Lodge of Harmony. After the Church of England burial service had been performed by the Ven. Archdeacon Pownall, the body was carried to the grave by four of the station employees, the pall-bearers being Messrs. Willans, Hawkins, Gowlland and Fosbery. A large number of the residents of the district assembled to pay the last tribute of respect to the deceased gentleman. The Wagga Wagga Advertiser says - "There is no resident of the Riverina district whose career can be spoken of in higher terms than that of the deceased gentleman. A native of the colony, although he eschewed politics, he displayed an energy and perseverance in forwarding its material interests. He was one of the oldest settlers in Riverina, and at the time of his death possessed one of the most completely appointed stations in the district. Born in Sydney in 1833, he was consequently only 46 years of age at the time of his death. He was twice married, and leaves a widow and three children to mourn their loss. The deceased was a son of Mr. John Windeyer, of Raymond Terrace, in the Hunter district, and was a cousin of the Hon. W. C. Windeyer, the present Attorney-general. The funeral which took place at Wantabadgery yesterday afternoon, was largely attended by the leading residents of the town and district. The members of the Masonic body, in which craft the late Mr. Windeyer held a high position, mustered largely. The deceased was buried in the consecrated cemetery close to the station, where the remains of his first wife repose.


 
Item: 161643
Surname: Windeyer (obit.,)
First Name: William Charles
Ship: -
Date: 15 September 1897
Place: Bologna
Source: The Argus
Details: Sir William Windeyer, late judge of the Supreme Court of New South Wales, died suddenly at Bologna on Saturday last. Death was caused by paralysis of the heart. Sir William, who was 63 years old last month, accepted a temporary position as judge of the Supreme Court of Newfoundland, and was to enter upon his duties next month. SYDNEY, Tuesday A cable message announcing the death of Sir William Windeyer was received by the Colonial Secretary at an early hour this morning. Sir Saul Samuel wired:"Sir William Windeyer died of paralysis on Saturday at Bologna. Please inform his son, with a loving message from his mother." The intelligence soon became known in Sydney, and the regret expressed at Sir William Windeyer's unexpected death in general. In the Supreme Court the Chief Justice, sitting with Justices Stephen, Owen, Simpson, and Cohen, announced the receipt of the news of Sir William Windeyers death and with much feeling spoke of the deceased judges great ability as a lawyer and of his loyalty to his colleagues on the bench. Sir Frederick Darley added that there was no doubt that Sir William Windeyer had been misunderstood, as those who were intimately acquainted with him knew what a true heart beat under his rough exterior, and how genuine was his desire to aid anyone in distress. In 1895 Sir William Windeyer was appointed chancellor of the University, Sydney, in succession to Sir William Manning, a position which he resigned in 1896, upon obtaining leave of absence to proceed to England on a six months holiday. At the end of the term he applied for an extension of his leave, as the worry in connection with the Dean agitation had told upon his constitution. The government, however, owing to the absence at the same time of Sir George Innis felt constrained to refuse the application, and Sir William Windeyers resignation was at once received. It was understood that he was somewhat disappointed at not receiving the appointment to the Privy Council that was given to Chief Justice Way, of South Australia. Recently a cablegram announced his acceptance of a temporary appointment during, a judicial deadlock in the colony of Newfoundland. He married, in 1857, Mary Elizabeth, daughter of the Rev. R. T. Bolton of Hexham, Newcastle, who survives him. Three sons and four daughters are the issue of the marriage


 
Item: 168631
Surname: Wisdom (obit.,)
First Name: John
Ship: 1834
Date: 14 January 1869
Place: Morpeth
Source: MM
Details: Obituary of John Wisdom. John Wisdom arrived with the 50th regiment in 1834. He resigned from the army in 1837 and settled in Maitland district in 1838


 
Item: 179472
Surname: Wiseman (obit.,)
First Name: Captain Charles
Ship: -
Date: 30 September 1873
Place: -
Source: Clarence and Richmond Examiner
Details: DEATH OF CAPTAIN WISEMAN. We regret to have to record the death of Captain CHARLES WISEMAN, a name as familiar as a household word to the majority of the old residents of the Clarence. A native of Essex, and connected by birth with an old shipping family, he came originally in 1839 as chief officer on board the Argyle, bound from London to Sydney and Calcutta. After his voyage to Calcutta, he returned to Sydney by the Lady McNaughten. His first engagement in the colony was that of chief officer on board the Maitland, of which, after a few months, he become captain ; he was afterwards transferred to the Tamar, and thence to the Sophia Jane, in which he made his first voyage to the Clarence in 1842. Regular steam communication with the Clarence was opened by the William the Fourth, of which vessel Mr. Wiseman continued master and part owner till the latter end of 1846. The William the Fourth was superseded by the Phoenix, a new boat, built for Mr. E. Manning this vessel was stranded at the Heads in 1850, and finally lost on the bar. The loss of this boat was the occasion of bringing out a strong feeling on the part of the district, which at that period had but few who were able to materially assist in the enterprise, in favour of another attempt to open up the Clarence trade. Captain Wiseman was sent to England to superintend the building of the steamer Clarence, and to bring her out to the colony. Upon her arrival, she was sold for a large profit, over and above her cost, to a Launceston Steam Company, and Captain Wiseman was sent to England to superintend the construction and to bring out the steamer Grafton, a boat which has done good service to the district, and proved a good speculation to the Clarence and Richmond Rivers Steam Navigation Company. The Grafton appears to have been put on the berth for the Clarence in 1854. The increase of the trade induced the Company to send home the Captain to superintend and bring out the Urara, which proved a good serviceable boat, but unfortunately was lost at the Heads; previously to this, Captain Wiseman had left the service of the Company, having retired from the sea. On the formation of the Clarence and New England Steam Navigation Company, Captain Wiseman was appointed the Sydney Manager, which office he ably filled up to about two years since, when he was compelled to resign in consequence of ill-health. The Directors, upon his retirement, presented him with an illuminated address from the shareholders of the Company. Captain Wiseman was universally respected by the settlers on the Clarence, and his death removes another connecting link between the old and the new times of the Clarence. His death was caused by an asthmatic disease, to which he has long been subject, and which had gradually reduced his constitution. He died at his late residence, Prince-street, Sydney, at three o clock on Friday last, being, we believe, in his sixty-third year


 
Item: 189313
Surname: Wonders (obit)
First Name: William
Ship: -
Date: 18 September 1883
Place: from Plattsburg
Source: Newcastle Morning Herald
Details: Death of William Wonders of Plattsburg, founder of the first Mechanics Institute at Hamilton and other co-operative institutions in Newcastle


 
Item: 185454
Surname: Wood (obit)
First Name: Mrs. Lewis
Ship: -
Date: 7 March 1923
Place: Newcastle
Source: The Daily Telegraph (Sydney, NSW : 1883 - 1930) Wed 7 Mar 1923
Details: Mrs. Lewis Wood, whose death has occurred at Newcastle, was 96 years of age. She was the widow of Mr. Lewis Wood, who lost his life through burning Injuries in a big bonfire on Obelisk Hill, over 50 years ago. The occasion was a demonstration at night time, to celebrate the abolition of the tonnage dues at the port of Newcastle. When Mr. and Mrs. Wood settled in Newcastle, in 1856 the present city was a primitive village, with no municipality nearer than Sydney. The first section of the Great Northern Railway was in course of construction, having been started at Honey suckle Point a few years previously. Mrs. Wood was the oldest member of the Brown Street (Newcastle) Congregational Church. Recently she made a gift of a block of land to the trustees of the church. During the visit of the Prince of Wales to Newcastle, in June, 1920, Mrs. Wood was presented as one who was present at the coronation of Queen Victoria. The late Mrs. Wood leaves two daughters — Mrs. J. S. Ash. of Newcastle, and Mrs. J. B. Laing. of Mosman — and three sons — Mrs. Richard L. Wood. East Maitland; Alfred N. Wood, Rockdale; and John 32. Wood, Tramway Department, Newcastle. Twenty-six grand children and 14 great-grandchildren also survive her.


 
Item: 161650
Surname: Zouch (obit.,)
First Name: Captain Henry
Ship: -
Date: 1 November 1883
Place: -
Source: SMH
Details: Captain Henry Zouch, superintendent of police for the southern district, and deputy inspector-general of police, died on Sunday evening, October 28. Captain Zouch was in the seventy third year of his age, and his residence in this colony covers a long period of its history. He was son of Colonel Zouch, commander of a British regiment during the American war of 1812-14. Colonel Zouch was for some time commandant at Quebec in Canada, and it was there that the subject of this notice was born. When a young man he went to England, and was educated in the military college at Sandhurst. In 1826 he obtained a commission as ensign in the Fourth of King's Own Regiment, and after serving in several garrison towns in England he came out with a detachment of his regiment in 1834. - a time when the convict ships were guarded hither by detachments of troops. The head quarters of the regiment were then in Sydney and Mr. Zouch held the rank of lieutenant. Shortly after his arrival in the year he was appointed to the first division of the military mounted police stationed at Bathurst. There were then three divisions, one at Bathurst, one at Goulburn and one at Maitland. About this time Lieutenant Zouch was despatched to the Bogan in search of Mr. Cunningham, who had lost himself from Sir Thomas Mitchell's party while on a botanizing expedition. He succeeded in finding the remains of Mr. Cunningham, the tablet to whose memory in the Botanic Gardens Sydney will be familiar to many colonists. On the Fourth regiment leaving for India, Lieut. Zouch sold out, and was for a considerable time out of the public service, being engaged in pastoral pursuits at Ashby near Bungendore, which property he sold some years ago. On the discovery of gold at Ophir, and the consequent rush of population to that neighbourhood he received an appointment as gold commissioner at the Turon, where he remained until 1853. He was then appointed superintendent of the mounted patrol for the western roads, which post he held but a short time, being transferred to the position of superintendent of the mounted patrol for the southern roads. This position he held until the mounted patrol was amalgamated with the general police under the Police Act of 1862. At that time Lieut. Zouch or as he has long been universally known, Captain Zouch was apppointed superintendent of police for the southern district which position he held up to the time of his death. He was the oldest of the superintendents and was some time ago appointed deputy inspector-general of police. As such he several times, during the absence of Mr. Fosbury fulfilled the duties of inspector-general



<<  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9