Free Settler or Felon

Search Result

Search


First Name



Surname / Subject



Ship








Search Results



<<  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  >>
 
Item: 161648
Surname: Menzies (obit.,)
First Name: Archibald
Ship: -
Date: 24 December 1874
Place: San Francisco
Source: MM
Details: DEATH OF MR. ARCHIBALD MENZIES - Our numerous readers will join with us in the regret which we feel in having to record the death in San Francisco of the above gentleman, who, for many years resided in West Maitland. Mr. Menzies was well known as a lover of music and the drama, and frequently appeared before a Maitland audience on behalf of our charitable and benevolent institutions. We are informed by a gentleman who has received a letter conveying the above melancholy intelligence that Mr. Menzies last wish was that he might be remembered to all his old Maitland friends by whom he was so highly and deservedly esteemed


 
Item: 161651
Surname: Menzies (obit.,)
First Name: General Sir Charles
Ship: -
Date: October 1866
Place: East Hill House Hastings
Source: The Gentleman s Magazine and Historical Review, Vol. 2. p.554
Details: At East-hill Honse, Hastings, suddenly, aged 88, General Sir Charles Menzies, K.C.B., K.C.H., K.C., and K.T.S., Col. Royal Marine Artillery, and formerly Aid-de-camp to the Queen. The deceased was a scion of the ancient Scottish family of Menzies, or Mengues, as it was originally written, and was the son of Capt. Charles Menzies, 71st Highlanders, by Sarah, dau. of Dr. Walter, of Haddington. He was born in 1783, and educated at Stirling. He received his commission as second Lieut. in the Marines in 1798. He was attached to Lord Nelson s squadron off Boulogne, where he participated in all the desperate cutting-out affairs on the French coast against Bonaparte s flotilla, and was severely wounded in Aug. 1801. He commanded a detachment of marines, landed at Port Jackson, Sydney, during an insurrection of convicts in March, 1804, and was mainly instrumental in restoring order and tranquillity in the colony. In June, 1806, he was in one of the boats of the Minerva at the capture of five vessels, under Fort Finisterre, and in the July following, in a barge belonging to the Minerva, when fifty miles off where the frigate lay at anchor, captured, by boarding, the Spanish privateer, Huena, after a sharp conflict, the attack being planned by himself. He also commanded a boat at the capture of a Spanish gun-boat at Carril. He led the marines at the storming of Fort Finisterre, being the first who surmounted the breach and planted the British colours on the rampart. For the distinguished courage and bravery displayed by him on this occasion he received a sword of honour from the Patriotic Fund at Lloyd s. He also served in boats at the capture of the Spanish vessel of war, San Josef, in the Bay of Arosa, where he landed and made prisoner the Spanish commodore, who delivered to him his sword. He commanded the Royal Marines at the capture of Fort Quardia; and was slightly wounded cutting-out a French corvette,, from under a battery in Basque roads. He was also at the taking of Fort Cumarinas, and gunboats from under its protection. During his services he was wounded in his right arm, which was amputated. From 1834 to 1844, he commanded the Royal Marine Artillery. Sept. 4, 1831, he was nominated a Knight of Hanover, expressly for gallant and meritorious services. From the King of Spain he received the order of Charles III., and was also Knight of the Tower and Sword of Portugal. In April 1865, he was nominated a Knight Commander of the Bath. He became a General in 1857. He held a pension for distinguished services from Nov. 1846 to Nov. 1851, when he resigned it on appointment as Aid-de-camp to the Queen. He was appointed Colonel of the Royal Marine Artillery in March, 1863. Sir Charles, who was a magistrate for the borough of Hastings, married, in 1817, Maria Wilhelmina, only child of Robert Bryant, esq , M.D., Physician to H.R.H. William Henry, Duke of Gloucester, by whom he had issue four sons and two daughters


 
Item: 168022
Surname: Middleton (obit.,)
First Name: Cecil
Ship: -
Date: 12 August 1925
Place: Goulburn
Source: SMH
Details: DEATH OF MR. C. MIDDLETON. When the late Mr. Cecil Middleton joined the Sydney General Post Office as a telegraph operator, the staff consisting of but eleven men and six boys. Mr. Middleton died recently, within a year of his centenary, at Goulburn. Since his retirement from the service 19 years ago, Mr. Middleton had lived on the heights of West Goulburn. A studious man, Mr. Middleton was a son of the Rev. George Middleton. His literary possessions were most valuable and among them were some historical documents of great interest. Among these was an old copy of an extract from the Journal of Governor Macquarie. The original, in Macquaries own handwriting, is in the Mitchell Library. "This afternoon there anchored in Sydney Cove the ship Prince Regent, transport, commanded by Captain William Arden, with 100 male convicts from England, whence she sailed on October 8, 1819, touching at no intermediate ports, Mr. Hunter, R. N., being surgeon superintendent, and a squad of 31 soldiers of the 48thRegiment being commanded by Cornet Chambers, of the 21st Light Dragoons. The convicts and guard arrived in good health, none of either having died on the voyage. The Rev. Mr. George Middleton, assistant chaplain for the colony, the wife and three children of Cornet Chambers, and a Chelsea pensioner, have come out passengers in the ship." The entry is dated January 27, 1820. 'The "Sydney Gazette" of January 20, 1820, contains the following: "To be Assistant Chaplain. "His Royal Highness the Prince Regent, in the name and on behalf of his Majesty, having been graciously pleased to appoint the Rev. George Middleton, Clerk, now arrived by the Prince Regent, to be an assistant chaplain on the Colonial Establishment of New South Wales, his Excellency is pleased to order and direct that Mr. Middleton do henceforth perform duty at Sydney until he shall be permanently appointed to some other situation." (Signed) Macquarie. The letters patent were unfortunately lost in a flood at Raymond Terrace, on the Hunter River, many years after. The Rev. George Middleton later took temporary charge at Parramatta while the Rev. Samuel Marsden was away in New Zealand. In 1821 he was made incumbent of Newcastle, where he stayed till 1827. There is a memorial window In the Newcastle Cathedral erected by a son, Alexander Dillin Middleton in 1824 he married at Liverpool a Miss Rose, an English girl who came to the colony with her mother a few yours before. Eventually he settled at Morpeth, where Mr. Cecil Middleton was born on April29, 1846. The late Cecil Middleton was the youngest of a large family. Educated at Hinton, he had as schoolmates the late James Hogue and John See. In July, 1861, he joined the telegraph service at West Maitland, qualified as a junior operator, and joined the Sydney staff in 1863. Six months later he qualified as a senior. The telegraph department was a very unpretentious building. The station master was Mr. S. J. Watson, l ater superintendent of telephones. The office was in George-street ,opposite David Jones, and on the site of the George-street end of the present General Post Office. The department was under the Minister for Works, Mr. W. M. Arnold, who was later Speaker of the House of Assembly, and who was drowned in a flood in the Patterson River. The staff consisted of Edward Charles Cracknell, Superintendent; Phillip B. Walker, Inspector of lines and stations. - McAuliffe, clerk; - Muston, accountant, and his clerk, Jack Quodling; receiving officers, J. H. Miles and O. West; and the operators, W. Wilson, Wm. H. McGuire, and Cecil Middleton. One of the messengers was Mr. Burnett, who retired later as superintendent of mails. And every message to Sydney and suburbs was delivered by six messengers, who were mounted on ponies. After spending eighteen months in the Sydney office, Mr. Middleton was appointed telegraph master at Hay, and reached that town by proceeding by boat to Melbourne, thence by rail to Bendigo (Sandhurst), and then by Cobb and Co.'s coach to Hay. Here he opened the first telegraph office in that town. His next promotion was to Wagga, where he spent nine years. Wagga was then the centre of the southern racing world, and thousand-guinea cups were common trophies. In 1878 Mr. Middleton was appointed to Goulburn. His new office comprised a small cottage situated where the present Court-house now stands, but three years later the new building, the present post and telegraph office in that city, was opened. Mr. Middleton was in charge for 25 years, and on his retirement was honoured by the citizens. He had always taken a keen interest in local affairs. He was connected with the Goulburn Club, the Mechanics' institute, the Tirranna Race Club, and was for years a trustee of the Government Savings Bank. A Freetmason, he died on the 44th anniversary of his initiation to Lodge Australia. He is survived by two sons and a daughter, Messrs. Seymour Arnold Middleton and Selwyn Seymour Middleton, of Sydney; and Mrs. Ewan Fraser, well known in her younger days as Jessie Middleton, a noted musician. She now resides in England.


 
Item: 183810
Surname: Moore (obit)
First Name: Thomas Henry
Ship: -
Date: 1 August 1823
Place: Singleton
Source: The Maitland Daily Mercury
Details: A man well known in the business and commercial life of Singleton in the eighties and nineties in the person of Mr. Thomas Henry Moore, died in a private hospital in Summer Hill near Sydney. He was the only son of Mr. James Moore, founder of the well known firm of Messrs James Moore and Co., Singleton. Death followed a paralytic seizure. The deceased, who was born in Singleton was in his 76 year and for a number of years managed the business. He was an enterprising business man and a public spirited citizen. Deceased ight be regarded as the pioneer of the butter industry in Singleton district, which has now become so important as he started the first factory in Singleton, also creameries in various parts of the district. Deceased married Miss Jane Anderson, sister of Messrs. R. and Mel Anderson of Singleton


 
Item: 190839
Surname: Morison (obit)
First Name: David Nevin
Ship: -
Date: 3 August 1942
Place: Mayfield
Source: The Newcastle Sun
Details: DEATH OF MR. D. N. MORISON Head of the oldest general engineering firm in Newcastle and himself an outstanding technical engineer, Mr. David Nevin Morison, managing director of Mori son and Bearby Ltd.. Carrington. died on Saturday night. He was 73 years old. and had been ill for only a short time. The late Mr. Morison. who was a prominent churchman and respected for his business ability and citizenship, was born in Balmain and came to Newcastle with his family at the age of three. The remaining 70 years of his life was spent in Newcastle. He served his time with the firm and became its head in 1914. He was educated at Maitland Boys High School. He was one of the first advocates of the Stockton-Tomago Sand beds water scheme when the Chichester plan was first discussed. He was a firm believer in Newcastle s destiny as a ship building centre, and was a member of the District Shipbuilding Committee formed in the city in 1938. Mr. Morton was a foundation member of the Institution of Engineers and a councillor of that body. He also supported the former Newcastle Betterment Board, the Chambers of Commerce and Manufactures, and Newcastle Ambulance. He was a prominent local preacher, a trustee of the Mayfield Methodist Church, and superintendent of the Sunday School for 30 years. He also sang in the choir. A liberal contributor to the Mayfield Methodist Church, he presented a bell to it in honor of his mother. He was a delegate to conference, and attended many synods. He was an active supporter of the YMCA and the British and Foreign Bible Society. The firm of Morison and Bearby Ltd. was established by Mr. Morison s father and a member of the Bearbv family at Carrington in1874. Later it was conducted by the late Mr. Morison and Mr E. Bearby, a son of the other original partner. Recently, Mr. Bearby ceased to take an active part in the firm and Mr. Morison was in charge until his death. He employed 350 men. He is survived by his wife and three daughters. Misses Nancy. Gwen and Vina Morison. The funeral took place this after noon leaving Mayfield Methodist Church for Sandgate Cemetery.


 
Item: 190838
Surname: Morison (obit)
First Name: Robert
Ship: Francis Walker 1852
Date: 9 March 1914
Place: Waratah
Source: Sydney Morning Herald
Details: Mr. Robert Morison, who died at his residence, Mayfield, Waratah, on Thursday, was well-known in this city and district. He was born in England on May 20, 1840, and came to Australia with his parents in 1852 in the ship Francis Walker. As a youth Robert Morison served an apprenticeship at the establishment of Messrs. Halliday Bros. One of his early duties was to assist the late Mr. Barnes to install some of the first printing machines in the offices of the Sydney Morning Herald. In later years he came to Newcastle, and worked in the first rail- way shops at Honeysuckle. Returning to Sydney, he entered the service of Mort s Dock Engineering Company, and had considerable experience in some of the early steamboats running to Australia. In 1875 Mr. Morison and Mr. E. W. Bearby entered into partnership as engineers at Carrington. Shortly afterwards Mr. James Morison, a brother, joined the firm, and to-day the firm of R. and J. Morison and Bearby is known throughout Australasia. Mr. Morison was prominently associated with the Methodist Church, and for many years was a local preacher in the Newcastle district, and teacher and superintendent at the Wesleyan Sabbath School in Tyrell street, Newcastle. He also held the position of trustee for a number of churches in the district. He was a supporter of the Y.M.C.A. in Newcastle, and a president and member of the committee of the local auxiliary of the British and Foreign Bible Society. Deceased leaves a widow and four daughters - Miss Morison, Mrs. F. A. Moxey, Mrs. R. Bryant, junr., and Mrs. R. G. Ellis and one son, Mr. D. N. Morison.


 
Item: 168628
Surname: Morisset (obit.,)
First Name: James Thomas
Ship: -
Date: 12 October 1852
Place: Bathurst
Source: Sydney Morning Herald
Details: The late Colonel Morisset entered the army by purchase, in February, 1798, whilst only a youth of sixteen, and held the rank of lieutenant up to the year 1802, a considerable portion of the intervening period being spent in India and Egypt, where he was actively employed in several engagements. In the latter year he obtained permission to leave India in consequence of an attack of sickness, and returned to England ; but his health having been restored, he obtained a captain s commission by purchase, in the 48th regiment, with which he shipped for the Peninsula, and took part in some of the hardest fought battles of the time, under the command of Sir Arthur Wellesley. On the field of Albuera he received a severe sword wound in the head, which continued a source of great suffering and inconvenience to the day of his death. Returning to England at the declaration of peace in the year 1814, he remained in a state of in- action until 1817, when his regiment was ordered to this colony. Until 1825 he was employed as Commandant at Newcastle and in the district of Bathurst, and whilst occupying these posts, elicited the approval of the Government by his conduct. At the latter period he obtained leave to return to the mother country, and on the occasion of his departure received a cordial acknowledgment of the value of his services through the Governor s Private Secretary. Whilst at home he received the arduous appointment of civil and military Commandant of the penal settlement of Norfolk Island; but some unforeseen obstacles to his installation having occurred, which rendered a reference to the Imperial Government indispensable, he was appointed Principal Superintendent of Police, and continued to hold the situation until 1839, when he received orders to proceed to Norfolk Island, where he remained five years. In 1834 he disposed of his commission in the army, and four years afterwards became police magistrate of Bathurst- was subsequently appointed commissioner of insolvent estates, and for a short period officiated as commissioner of the Court of Requests. The first two appointments he retained to the period of his decease. To prove that his connection with the army was one of hard service, it is only necessary to mention the following engagements, in all of which he fought :-Toulouse, Orthes, Nive, Vittoria, Albuera, Busaco, and Talavera, these historical names being inscribed upon a medal which he held in token of his services. He also held an Egyptiac medal, but the names of the battles in which he took part whilst in that country are not specified. The proposition, therefore, with which this notice is commenced -that the late police magistrate of Bathurst had served his country with fidelity -and during the best years of a long life- time is sufficiently proved ; and after a perusal of the above naked facts, few will deny that he is worthy of favourable remembrance


 
Item: 168814
Surname: Morley (obit.,)
First Name: John
Ship: -
Date: 28 February 1899
Place: Newcastle
Source: Evening News
Details: Another old identity named John Morley died at Islington last week. He was born in 1836 in the Newcastle district where he resided the greater part of his life. He married in 1854 and had seven sons and four daughters of whom three daughters survive. Of grandchildren, there are twenty one living


 
Item: 173920
Surname: Moroney (obit.,)
First Name: Denis (Dennis)
Ship: -
Date: 21 July 1902
Place: Swan Street Hamilton
Source: NMH
Details: Early on Saturday morning Mr. Dennis Moroney a very old resident of the district died at the residence of his son. The deceased gentleman was well known in the Maitland, Cooranbong and Newcastle districts during the past fifty years. He was born in Cork Ireland on 4 March 1805 and was therefore in his ninety eight year. He left Ireland towards the end of the year 1851 and arrived in NSW in the beginning of the following year. He came out here with the intention of engagin in the farming industry and with his wife settled in West Maitland. He worked there for a little while while as a saddler after which having a knowledge of milling he entered into that business. After that he took up a farm at Newport near Cooranbong where he remained for about ten years and was very successfull. Leaving Newport he came to Newcastle where he resided alternatively with his sons Michael and John Moroney. In the year 1861 Mr. Moroneys wife died at Newport and her remains were buried at Cooranbong. 26 years afterwards the remains were re interred in the Sangate cemetery.


 
Item: 161634
Surname: Nowland (obit.,)
First Name: John James
Ship: -
Date: 10 April 1930
Place: -
Source: SMH
Details: OBITUARY - The death has occurred after a long illness of Mr. John James Nowland, a member of one of the oldest families In New South Wales, and one who played a prominent part in open- ing up the New England and north-west dis- tricts. His great-grandfather. Michael Now- land, came to Australia with Governor Gidley King, the two being personal friends, and was appointed superintendent of convicts. A son, Mr. William Nowland, took up country near Armidale, and later the family owned a sta- tion on Liverpool Plains and the greater portion of Warrah Ridge. Mr. William Now- land was the first man to drive a vehicle over the Liverpool Range, a feat of no mean achievement in view of the fact that a track had to be cut for a great part of the way. After disposing of his interest in Warrah Ridge, Mr. J. J. Nowland followed pastoral pursuits in Queensland until he was over- taken by the illness which led to his death. In 1883 he married Miss Emily Smith, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. W. A. Smith, of Dungog. Mrs. Nowland and four sons and three daughters survive.


 
Item: 174765
Surname: Nunn (obit.,)
First Name: Lieut-Col James Winniett (Major James Winniett)
Ship: -
Date: 2 February 1847
Place: Meerut
Source: Gentleman s Magazine
Details: Obituary - At Meerut, Lieut-Col James Winniett Nunn, of the 80th Foot. He entered the service as Ensign April 7 1804; was presented to a Lieutenancy 1805; to a Captaincy 1810; a brevet Majority 1830; and to a Lieut-Colonelcy 1844. He served with much distinction in Egypt, and was present at the capture of Genoa in 1814. His last services were with his regiment, the 80th Foot, during the Sutlej campaign.


 
Item: 161633
Surname: O'Gorman (obit.,)
First Name: Monsignor
Ship: -
Date: 20 November 1935
Place: West Maitland
Source: SMH
Details: Monsignor O'Gorman, parish priest at East Maitland since 1909, died this morning. He was 81 years of age, and was born at Kilkenny (Ireland), ordained at Rome in 1884, and arrived in Maitland 51 years ago. Except for three years at Barcaldine, in Queens- land, all his priesthood had been served in Maitland diocese. He had been stationed at Dungog and Newcastle


 
Item: 183772
Surname: Osmond (obit)
First Name: George
Ship: -
Date: 23 February 1932
Place: From Dungog
Source: The Richmond River Herald
Details: Mr. George Osmond, 92, one of the pioneers of Dungog district, who died last week, had lived for 80 years in the Paterson and Dungog districts. His father worked on Tocal Station, when wages were 1 pound per week and a hut to live in and it was whilst at Tocal that the deceased first learnt to ride. He was taught by that great horseman Frederick Ward, better known as Thunderbolt. Ward was a good master and he a good pupil. The late Mr. Osmond was noted as an expert horseman. Furthermore he would never hear a word said against Ward, who he always maintained was a good man. Subsequently deceased went on the land and then purchased a bullock team and commenced carrying provisions from Morpeth to the Western and North western towns. He married Fanny, the daughter of Timothy Taylor of Cox s creek who died 25 years previously. His father, aged 102 died in 1915


 
Item: 164115
Surname: Pender (obit.,)
First Name: John Wiltshire
Ship: -
Date: 14 March 1917
Place: West Maitland
Source: SMH
Details: The death of Mr. J.W. Pender of West Maitland was announced a few days ago. A quarter of a century since, when the Plymouth Rock fowls were first favourites with fanciers, Mr. Pender was one of the leading breeders and exhibitors. Many high class specimens were imported by him from England and America, the progeny usually securing honours at the Sydney and Melbourne shows


 
Item: 166543
Surname: Portus (obit.,)
First Name: John
Ship: -
Date: 19 June 1860
Place: Morpeth
Source: MM
Details: DEATH OF Mr. JOHN PORTUS. It would be difficult to name any person In our community whose loss would be more widely regretted and felt than Mr. Portus. Ever since we have known the district he has been one of Its most prominent men, for enterprise and ingenuity, united with prudent foresight. Such men as Mr. Portus invariably give a tone to society in their locality ; and it is not perhaps going too far to say, that the spirited enterprise for which the people of Morpeth have been long marked was largely due to the example and the encouragement of Mr. Portus. Very few of the greater enterprises undertaken In this district, such as the establishment of the two steam companies, have been started without being largely indebted to Mr. Portus for counsel and assistance, of a professional (engineering) character, freely rendered. The very complete milling facilities for which the Hunter district has long been distinguished, are also In great measure owing to Mr. Portus's enterprise in common with that of other gentle-men yet happily living amongst us. In another department of progress Mr. Portus has long materially helped the district. He was a remarkably ingenious mechanist and engineer, and his machine yard has supplied a great number of the improved farming implements, formerly scarce, but now rapidly increasing in use among our farmers. Latterly Mr. Portus's visit to Europe and the United States had enabled him to increase and vary this branch of his enterprise to an. extent that was only beginning to be appreciated. Mr. Portus's funeral, on Sunday afternoon, was attended by a very large number of persons ,thirty-two vehicles, a great number of horsemen, and very many on foot, following the hearse and mourning coaches to the cemetery, at Morpeth. We thought we observed a very marked gathering from all parts of the neighbourhood, many attending from great distances to pay the last sad honor to the memory of our fellow citizen...........


 
Item: 184470
Surname: Purves (obit)
First Name: Rev. William
Ship: -
Date: 6 August 1870
Place: -
Source: Maitland Mercury
Details: It is with feelings of the deepest regret that we learn of the melancholy death of the Rev. William Purves, while on the voyage to Eng- land in the ship Patriarch. As yet there are very few particulars of the sad event to hand, but, we are informed, a gentleman in Maitland has received a telegram from the eldest son of the lamented gentleman, stating that his father was dead. It will be remembered that Mr. Purves was proceeding to the old country for the purpose of recruiting his health, which had given way under the pressure of domestic afflictions added to the wear and tear of his arduous calling. At the time the vessel left he was so unwell that he had to be assisted on board, but it was confidently hoped by his friends that the voyage would act as a restorative. The Patriarch was spoken by the ship Liberator, forty days out, and the report "all well" came on to Sydney, cheering the hearts of Mr. Purves numerous friends. The decease of Mr. Purves must then have happened at a subsequent period of the voyage, most probably ere he had time once more to see his native shores. There are few who have lived any length of time in this district who did not know and respect Mr. Purves, as well in his capacity of a citizen as in his sacred calling, and we are sure that the news of his decease will be received with great regret by all. Mr. Purves loss, coming so soon after the death of the Rev. W. McIntyre, will be the more la- mented. Of the two gentlemen, while both lent a helping hand to most movements for the public benefit in and about the two Maitlands, Mr. Purves took most part in movements out- side his own religious denomination. Himself a fine scholar, he took great delight in assisting such institutions as the Mechanics Institute, East Maitland : and did much towards making it and others really institutions for the whole- some recreation of all alike, poor and rich. At one time Mr. Purves tried to originate, and bring into active usefulness, movements for a scheme for crossing the river at West Maitland, and other plans of like nature, but was not then successful - partly perhaps because his style of public speaking, though easy, had more of the finished scholar than the orator in it, and he could thus create little enthusiasm among a mixed audience. He had a good deal of energetic perseverance in regard to more general matters also, and to him it is mainly owing (we believe) that the rich cannel coal-mine at Anvil Creek has been successfully brought into working condition, and maintained and largely owing that rather extensive flood-protection works, of drainage character, were entered on by the farmers and owners on Wallis Creek years since. Of Mr. Purves merits as a member of the Senate of the Sydney University the Sydney journals will be better informed than we are. By an accident some time ago we learnt that Mr. Purves(whose second marriage had made him rich was a man of most extensive- charities, some known, but many unknown but to himself and the recipients ; and in this respect, as well as in many others, his loss will be severely felt in East Maitland. It is almost unnecessary to add, so widely was Mr. Purves known, that he was a gentleman of the most courteous and obliging demeanour, by nature a peace- maker in nearly all cases.


 
Item: 162433
Surname: Radford (obit.,)
First Name: Henry
Ship: -
Date: 1836 28 January
Place: -
Source: Colonist
Details: DEATH at Newcastle on Friday 15th instant - Dr. Radford arrived in the colony in the year 1824 on furlough from his Regiment in India, having married an English lady at Algoa Bay during his stay at the Cape. He obtained a grant at Hunter River but returned a year or two thereafter to India to complete his period of service. His two sons were on their way from India to the Australian College when they were both drowned in the unfortunate vessel that was lost on Amsterdam Island about 3 years ago. The melancholy tidings of this calamitous visitation preyed upon Dr. R's sensitive spirit, and the climate of India undermined his robust constitution, so that on coming to the colony, after having at length completed the regular period of service in India, he only came to spend the remainder of his days in sickness and to sink prematurely into the grave. Dr. R. died sincerely regretted by his numerous friends in NSW but we are happy to add he has left his widow and family in comparative independence


 
Item: 188009
Surname: Richards (obit)
First Name: Thomas
Ship: Walter Morris 1853
Date: 5 August 1889
Place: Wickham
Source: Newcastle Morning Herald
Details: Born at Dowlais, Glamorganshire, South Wales on 17 July 1819. Age age 15 apprenticed to the moulding trade in Dowlais Iron Works where his father was overseer of the Coal and Fuel Works Department. In 1853 he became connected with the Chartist movement. He attended a gathering on Dowlais Mountain and was afterwards dismissed from his work in the iron industry. He was married in Bedwelty in 1840 and afterwards signed with the A.A. Company to join their service at Newcastle NSW and sailed on the Walter Morris arriving on 23 September 1853. He afterwards worked on the Boreholecolliery railway, the Iron Foundry of Archibald Rodgers, the Coal and Copper Company and the Redhead coal Company. In 1868 he joined the Railway Department as a fettler. He died in an accident at the Hannell Street railway crossing at Wickham in 1889


 
Item: 188007
Surname: Rodgers (obit)
First Name: James Ewing
Ship: -
Date: 5 December 1939
Place: Newcastle
Source: Newcastle Morning Herald
Details: A cortege, estimated to be nearly two miles long, left the residence of Mr James Ewing Rodgers, Crebert-street, Mayfield, for the Beresfield Crematorium. Mr. Rodgers died on Saturday, after an illness extending over 10 months. The third son of Mr. and Mrs. J. S. Rodgers - the first Mayor of Carrington and later Mayor of Newrcastle - Mr. Rodgers was born in Darby-street on April 6, 1867. His father establishted a foundry on the site of the present City Hall, and conducted an engineering business for many years. Mr. Rodgers, senr., built the first locomotive steam engine in Newcastle and carried out msany important Governmeat contracts for punts and general engineering work. Mr. Rodgers, jnr., carried on the foundry after his father died until he retired from active business in 1928. The foundry was established in 1853. The firm made the bell, which required a special note, for the Watt-street Presbyterian Church. The Rodgers family lived at Carrington for many years. In 1901 Mr. Rodgers married Miss Florence Saunders, of Sydney. After their marriage, they settled at Mayfield, where they lived since. There were three sons and one daughter from the union -Messrs. R. N. Rodgers, J. S. Rodgers, Robert Rodgers (New- castle), and Mrs. J. Cowdery (Sydney). Mr. Rodgers was a member of Lodge Harmony, U.G.L. and a former Presi- dent of Waratah Bowling Club. In 1930 he and his wife had a world tour. Last year they visited New Zealand. A service at the house was conducted by the District President of the Methodist Church (Rev. Silas Bembrick). Pall- bearers were Messrs. A. Mackie, H. Mayne, A. Downie and F. Corrigan. The late Mr. Rodgers is also survived by his widow.


 
Item: 176061
Surname: Rourke (obit.,)
First Name: Henry
Ship: -
Date: 5 August 1879
Place: Glanmore, Regent Street West Maitland
Source: MM
Details: Death of Mr. Henry Rourke. Many of our readers will join with us in strong regret that Mr. Rourke died yesterday at his residence, Glanmire, Regent Street, West Maitland. Mr. Rourke was one of our oldest residents. When the Mercurys first number was published in January, 1843, Mr. Rourke was in business in Maitland, and had been for some time. He was then, as he continued to be through life, a most industrious man in everything he undertook and with him, as with so many other Maitland business men, a life of constant industry, and quiet living, brought wealth in good time. Mr. Rourke also took his share in whatever public movements were about in those early days, his interest being shown more particularly in racing matters, in election contests, and so on.. From a very early period of his career, Mr. Rourke was an active member of the Hunter River Agricultural Association, and in later years was one of its mainstays, as treasurer and as member of committee, steward, and so on. A large share of the marked success that has latterly attended it, indeed, was due to Mr. Rourke and persevering men like him. At one time Mr. Rourke was one of the Aldermen of the borough, and he al-ways took a strong interest in politics, his views being



<<  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  >>