Free Settler or Felon

Search Result

Search


First Name



Surname / Subject



Ship








Search Results



<<  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next  >>
 
Item: 174209
Surname: Cowper (obit.,)
First Name: Rev. William Macquarie
Ship: -
Date: 16 June 1902
Place: -
Source: NMH
Details: William Macquarie Cowper, Dean of Sydney, was born in Sydney on 3 July 1810. The venerable gentleman was a son of an equally venerable and veberated father, Archdeacon William Cowper, who arrived in Sydney in August 1809, as Assistant Colonial Chaplain. He was incumbent of St. Phillips and was one of the organisers of the Benevolent Society. The Archdeacon was thrice married, a son by the first wife being Sir Charles Cowper, five times Premier of NSW. The Archdeacon died at St. Phillips Parsonage on 6th July 1858 at the age of 80 years. On his death his son William Macquarie Cowper was appointed incumbent of St. Phillips. William Macquarie Cowper was educated by his father until the year 1828 when he went to Oxford. In 1836 he was appointed chaplain to the A.A. Company and resided for 20 years at Stroud, the headquarters of the company. He then had charge of Moore College, Liverpool, NSW and afterwards of the Glebe parish. On taking charge of St. Phillips, he was appointed Dean of Sydney and in 1869 was promoted to the Cathedral parish. Dean Cowper was present when Gov. Macquarie laid the foundation stone of St. Andrews Cathedral


 
Item: 183773
Surname: Cox (nee Regan) (obit)
First Name: Mrs. George
Ship: -
Date: 27 August 1927
Place: Dungog
Source: The Maitland Daily Mercury
Details: Death of Mrs. George Cox of Thalaba. Deceased was 79 years of age and was a native of the New England district. She came to Dungog over 70 years ago with her father Mr. Lawrence Regan. Subsequently married Mr. George Cox and resided at Thalaba ever since


 
Item: 201311
Surname: Cox (obit)
First Name: Walter F
Ship: -
Date: 12 August 1930
Place: Cooks Hill
Source: NMH
Details: LATE MR. WALTER F. COX. Mr. Walter F. Cox died at his residence, 120 Darby-street, Cooks Hill, on Sunday afternoon. He had been in business in Darby-street for over 40 years. He was a son of the late Mr. George Henry Cox, architect, who was responsible for many buildings being erected in early Newcastle. Among these buildings were the old Newcastle Hospital, the old Terminus Hotel, the Crystal Palace Hotel (where the Rawson Hotel now stands), and the Newcastle School of Arts. The late Mr. W. F. Cox was of a retiring disposition. He was a devoted worker for St. Johns Church of England, Cooks Hill, holding the positions of churchwarden and representative to the Synod. The late Mr. Cox was a widower, with no family, his late wife died in 1912


 
Item: 183236
Surname: Coxen (obit.,)
First Name: Charles
Ship: -
Date: 3 Jun 1876
Place: Bulimba Qld
Source: Sydney Mail
Details: Mr. Charles Coxen died at his residence, Omega Cottage, Bulimba, Queensland, on the 17th May last, aged 67. He was a native of Kent, England, and at the age of 27, in the year 1836, he emigrated to New South Wales. He was there engaged for some time in collecting specimens of natural history for his brother-in-law, Mr. J. G. Gould. During that period Mr. Coxen made one of the most curious discoveries in the records of Ornithology, known as the play-ground of the bower bird. He afterwards engaged in pastoral pursuits, on the Hunter River, and after wards on the Darling Downs, where he took up and occupied Jondaryan station, in which enterprise, however, he was far from fortunate, as has been the case with too many of our earliest pioneer settlers. He was elected to represent the district of Northern Downs in the first Parliament of Queensland. In July, 1863, he was appointed Chairman of Committees to the Legislative Assembly, and he held this office until his defeat by Mr. H. Thorn in the general election of 1SS7. After that he spent some time at Gympie, in the early days of that gold-field. In March, 1868, he began his career in connection with the Crown Lands Office, where his strict integrity and ceaseless desire to assist and further the interests of settlers won for him the respect and esteem of all with whom, in his official capacity, he was brought into contact. He was first appointed Commissioner for Crown Lands for the settled district of Moreton, including East, and West Moreton; and this position he filled until January 1870, when Mr. R. J. Smith was made Acting-Commissioner for West Moreton and Mr. Coxen was appointed Acting-Commissioner, for East Moreton, taking also the position of Land Agent for that district. In May, 1872, Mr. Persse took the position of Land Agent, and Mr. Coxen was gazetted Land Commissioner for the district of East Moreton and Inspecting Commissioner for the settled districts of the colony. In October 1874, he became Acting-Land Commissioner for the settled district of Darling Downs, in the room of Mr. A. McDowall, but was relieved of the duties of this office during the early part of 1876. Up to the time of his death he continued to hold the position of Land Commissioner for East Moreton and Inspecting Commissioner for the settled districts; but, owing to failing health, he was obliged to obtain sick leave at intervals during the past few months. Notwithstanding the numerous duties attaching to his connection with the Lands Department, Mr. Coxen found time for the pursuit of his favourite study of natural history, as well as the promotion of science in other directions beneficial to the colony. In 1873 he was gazetted a member of a commission, appointed under the great seal of the colony, to inquire into the condition of the aborigines of this colony. He was also a leading member of the Queensland Philosophical Society, where his energy and knowledge concerning a variety or matters was of great assistance. In connection with that society he has done much towards the formation of the Queensland Museum, in which he took a great interest, and he was one of the trustees recently appointed to the care of that institution. He was a man of very sound constitution and cheerful temper, and, although he has reached within three years of the allotted span of man s life on earth, it is probable that his career of usefulness has been shortened by the hardship and privations which he necessarily bore while seeking to establish a home beyond the limits of civilization. Mr. and Mrs. Coxen for some years past resided in the Bulimba district, where especially, we feel sure, many sorrowing friends will mourn the loss of a kindly neighbour and worthy gentleman


 
Item: 197819
Surname: Creed (obit)
First Name: Rev. Charles
Ship: -
Date: 31 January 1880
Place: -
Source: Sydney Mail
Details: OBITUARY NOTICE OF THE LATE REV. CHARLES CREED. The President gave out a suitable hymn, which was sung with deep feeling. The Secretary reported that the Rev. C. Creed had died since last conference. The Rev. C. Stead read an obituary notice of the Rev. C, Creed, which had been prepared by the Rev. J. Watkin,. one of Mr. Creed s oldest and warmest friends. From the above notice, it appears that Mr. Creed; was born in Somersetshire, England, in 1812. In 1836 he became a student in the Theological Institution, Hoxton. In 1837 he was appointed to New Zealand, where he continued till 1856. Mr. Creed thus spent nearly twenty years in the Maori mission. He is said to have been a very excellent Maori speaker. After leaving New Zealand he was appointed to Richmond, Victoria and Yass, Windsor, Newcastle, and Penrith, in New South Wales. At Penrith Mr. Creed s health failed. He became a supernumerary minister in 1867, and in that capacity was engaged for several years in the Chippendale circuit. Mr. Creed died February 18, 1879.


 
Item: 176937
Surname: Crewe (obit.,)
First Name: Thomas
Ship: -
Date: 5 January 1937
Place: Arncliffe
Source: Maitland Daily Mercury
Details: Funeral of Thomas Crew who died in a private hospital at Arncliffe on 29 December 1936. Mr. Crew was born in the Horseshoe Bend, West Maitland in 1848 and at the time of his death was one of the oldest journalists in NSW. He had been connected with many newspapers throughout the State including the Maitland Daily Mercury where he received his early training


 
Item: 199601
Surname: Crockett (obit)
First Name: James
Ship: -
Date: 10 November 1906
Place: Islington
Source: NMH
Details: ISLINGTON,. Mr. James Crockett, an old and esteem- ed resident of Islington, died on Thurs- day. The deceased gentleman was a master plasterer by trade, and was engaged in contracting work. Death result- ed from Brights disease, from which he suffered acutely for several weeks, partial paralysis resulting, Mr. Crockett was the eldest son of Mr. Samuel Crockett, and was born in Manchester, England, 57 years ago. He came to Australia in early life, and has been resident in the immediate locality, the principal portion of the time at Tighes Hill, for about 40 years. He was the senior of seven brothers and two sisters, and the family has been widely known and respected for many years. He was of a quiet and retiring disposition, and never took any part in public life, his home circle claiming the whole of his sympathies . The only institution he identified himself with was the Ancient Order of Foresters, and during his 30 years association with that order he passed through its various degrees. He leaves a family of three sons and three daughters, all of whom are grown up. The funeral took place yesterday. The cortege was lengthy and representative of the deceased s many friends in commercial and family life, and a large number of relatives. Messrs. J. Croft, B. Pearce, C. Jones, and W. Woollett, were the pall bearers. The Rev. T. S. Crawford, M.A., officiated at the grave, and the remains were interred in the Presbyterian portion of the Sandgate cemetery.


 
Item: 199602
Surname: Crockett (obit)
First Name: James
Ship: -
Date: 10 November 1906
Place: Islington
Source: NMH
Details: ISLINGTON,. Mr. James Crockett, an old and esteem- ed resident of Islington, died on Thurs- day. The deceased gentleman was a master plasterer by trade, and was engaged in contracting work. Death result- ed from Brights disease, from which he suffered acutely for several weeks, partial paralysis resulting, Mr. Crockett was the eldest son of Mr. Samuel Crockett, and was born in Manchester, England, 57 years ago. He came to Australia in early life, and has been resident in the immediate locality, the principal portion of the time at Tighes Hill, for about 40 years. He was the senior of seven brothers and two sisters, and the family has been widely known and respected for many years. He was of a quiet and retiring disposition, and never took any part in public life, his home circle claiming the whole of his sympathies . The only institution he identified himself with was the Ancient Order of Foresters, and during his 30 years association with that order he passed through its various degrees. He leaves a family of three sons and three daughters, all of whom are grown up. The funeral took place yesterday. The cortege was lengthy and representative of the deceased s many friends in commercial and family life, and a large number of relatives. Messrs. J. Croft, B. Pearce, C. Jones, and W. Woollett, were the pall bearers. The Rev. T. S. Crawford, M.A., officiated at the grave, and the remains were interred in the Presbyterian portion of the Sandgate cemetery.


 
Item: 202150
Surname: Croker (obit)
First Name: Mrs. William John
Ship: -
Date: 25 March 1930
Place: Clarence Town
Source: Dungog Chronicle
Details: MRS. W. J. CROKER. The death took place at Fotheringay, Clarence Town, on March 15, of Mrs. W. J. Croker. The deceased lady was born in Audrie, Scotland, on August 20, 1842. After coming to Australia she was married in Newcastle in 1864 to the late Mr. W. J. Croker, who predeceased his wife by 11 years. Mr. and Mrs. Croker went to Clarence Town 56 years ago. Twelve years after their arrival, they decided to reside at Fotheringay, where both spent the remainder of their lives. Mrs. Croker spent 44 years of her long life there, and was well-known throughout the district. She is survived by six sons and three daughters, Eliza (Clarence Town), William (Quirindi), Alfred (Sydney), Robert (Wallarobba), John (Mos- man), Mary (Chatswood), Charles (Sydney), Clarence (Fotheringay) Maud (Sydney.) Her only surviving sister is Mrs. Mathieson, of Carrington. There are also 28 grandchildren and 19 great grandchildren.


 
Item: 177581
Surname: Croker (obit)
First Name: William John
Ship: -
Date: 21 March 1919
Place: Clarence town
Source: The Voice of the North
Details: On Saturday there passed away at his home Fotheringay, near Clarence Town a very old resident of that district in the person of Mr. Wlliam John Croker. He was 79 years of age, and had been in failing health for some time. The late Mr. Croker was born at sea, and came with his parents to Newcastle when an infant. Forty four years ago he went to Clarence Town with his wife and young Family and twelve years later he acquired the Fotheringay Estate where he had resided ever since. He was the pioneer in the timber trade in the Clarencetown district, but of late years had been chiefly engaged in grazing pursuits. When a young man, he was noted for his prodigious strength and it was claimed that he could lift half a ton dead weight. He leaves a widow, three daughters and six sons to mourn their loss.


 
Item: 203844
Surname: Cross (obit)
First Name: Captain Herbert Robert
Ship: -
Date: 16 November 1914
Place: Waratah
Source: Sydney Morning Herald
Details: Captain Herbert Robert Cross, for a number of years Commander of the Newcastle Naval Brigade and chairman of the Marine Board, died at his residence, Waratah, on Saturday night aged 86 years. The late Captain Cross was one of New South Wales oldest master mariners. He was for many years chairman of the old Newcastle Marine Board, and also held the position of shipping manager for the Wallsend Coal Company. Prior to settling in Australia, he was engaged in vessels trading to India. Captain Cross was the oldest member of the League of Ancient Mariners, and, until recent years, was rarely absent from the annual gatherings of that body. He leaves a family of three daughters and four sons. His death occurred at Wydernhoe, High-street, Waratah


 
Item: 203845
Surname: Cross (obit)
First Name: Captain Herbert Robert
Ship: -
Date: 17 November 1914
Place: -
Source: The Daily Telegraph
Details: The late Captain Herbert Robert Cross came to Newcastle over 60 years ago. Shortly after his arrival he was appointed colliery shipping manager for the Newcastle-Wallsend Coal Company - a position which he retained for about half a century, when he retired and went to Sydney. He resided there for a number of years. As far back as the year 1862, with the late Captain David T. Allan, he formed the Newcastle Naval Brigade, Captain Allan being appointed commander with Captain Cross as lieutenant, the latter succeeding to the command on the death of his chief. Captain Cross took a keen interest in the bigade, until he resigned the position in 1888, and on his retirement received the long service medal.Previous to coming to Australia, the deceased was connected with the mercantile marine, and it had been his boast that during the many voyages he had made across the Irish Channel with passenger vessels he never had a mishap of any kind. During the Crimean War he was engaged in transporting troops


 
Item: 196982
Surname: Crouch (obit)
First Name: Mrs. William
Ship: Jane Paterson 1839
Date: 13 November 1918
Place: Maitland
Source: Daily Observer, Tamworth
Details: The death occurred of Mrs. William Crouch of Bolwarra, a very old and highly respected resident of the Maitland district. Deceased was 89 years of age and her death took place after a short illness due to senile decay. She was born in Sussex England in 1829. She came to this country with her parents at the age of 10 years in a ship named the Jane Paterson. She landed in Sydney and then came on to the Maitland district where she lived with her parents until her marriage with the late William Crouch who pre deceased her 30 years ago.


 
Item: 164954
Surname: Cunningham (obit.,)
First Name: Peter Miller
Ship: -
Date: 6 March 1864
Place: Greenwich
Source: The Gentleman's Magazine
Details: P. M. Cunningham, Esq., Surgeon U.N. March 6. At Greenwich, aged 71, Peter Miller Cunningham, Esq., Surgeon R.N. The deceased, who was the younger brother of Thomas Mounsey Cunningham (a well known name in Scottish provincial literature), and of Allan Cunningham, was born at Dalswinton, near Dumfries, in November, 1789, and received his baptismal names from that Peter Miller who is generally recognised as the first person to make use of steam in propelling boats. He received his medical education at the University of Edinburgh, and as soon as he attained the requisite age, was appointed an Assistant Surgeon in the Royal Navy. In this capacity he saw service on the shores of Spain, where the great war was raging, and on the lakes of America, where he became the close friend of the celebrated Clapperton. He also served for some years in the Eastern Archipelago, and had ample opportunities of observing the effect of tropical climates on the European constitution. Of this he profited when, peace having arrived, he was thrown out of the regular line of duty, and would have been left to vegetate on half-pay if he had not sought other employment from the Admiralty; in the course of which, to use the words of the Quarterly Review, he made no less than four voyages to New South Wales, as Surgeon Superintendent of convict ships, in which were transported upwards of six hundred convicts of both sexes, whom he saw landed at Sydney without the loss of a single individual:a fact of itself quite sufficient to attest his judgment and ability in the treatment and management of a set of beings not easily kept in order.(Q. R., Jan. 1828.) The result of his observations during this period was embodied in his


 
Item: 197905
Surname: Curnow (obit)
First Name: Rev. William
Ship: -
Date: 21 October 1903
Place: -
Source: The Sydney Mail
Details: William Curnow, the eldest son of James Curnow, was born at St. Ives, Cornwall, in 1832, and was educated with a view to entering the ministry of the Wesleyan Methodist Church. When he was 21 years of age he became a minister, and a few months later the parent body in England received a requisition from the adherents in Australia for men to fill their pulpits. Amongst those chosen in response was the Rev William Curnow, and the party arrived in New South Wales in May, 1854. Mr. Curnow was immediately sent to Newcastle, but there he only stayed a few months, being appointed to to Maitland. He came nearer to the scene of his future influence when he was stationed at Parramatta, and it was during the course of his ministry there that he married the lady who is now his widow. Mrs. Curnow is a daughter of Mr. Von Mangerhausen Weiss, a business man. That was in 1858, and after a year spent in Bowenfels he was transferred to the Brisbane and Ipswich circuit in Queensland, which had in 1859 been separated from the mother colony. Sydney, how ever, called him back in 1862, and for the next three years Mr. Curnow filled the pulpit of the York-street Church — the principal place of worship of the Sydney Wesleyans. From there to Bourke-street was not a far step, and his thoughtful addresses to his co-religionists on matters of religion, and to his fellow-citizens generally on matters of social interest, were an education factor to many. In 1868 he went to Goulburn, the last circuit he administered in the country districts of New South Wales. Returning to York-street in 1871, he remained here until March, 1874, when he left for a trip to England. On his return he spent two years in the Forest Lodge circuit. Soon after his retirement from the editorial chair Mr. Curnow was summoned to the scene of his 30 years of labour to hear a few kindly expressions from those who had been his fellow-toilers. They pressed upon him for acceptance a humble souvenir of their goodwill, and he in return gave them many interesting reminiscences. Last Thursday found many of those who heard him taking part in that solemn scene at Rookwood among leading men of this city. He had many friends.


 
Item: 197821
Surname: Cusse (obit)
First Name: Rev. John Reni Gustavus
Ship: -
Date: 8 September 1866
Place: Newcastle
Source: Newcastle Chronicle
Details: The Rev. John Reni Gustavus Cusse, expired after a long illness, borne with Christian fortitude, at his residence, on Thursday evening last, at eight o clock. Father Cusse has been a great sufferer from dropsy, and has undergone five operations. The last one was perform by Dr. Bowker so recently as Wednesday, the day previous to his demise. Father Cusse was born at Niems, in the south of France, and was about forty-six -years of age. The greater part of his life was spent in the sacred ministry. He was of the order of the Assumption, a modification of the Augustinian order. In his native country he was a very distinguished professor of natural philosophy and chemistry, and was much esteemed by Cardinal Gousset, and several French ecclesiastics of higher rank. He came to Australia with Dr. Quinn, of Brisbane, with a view of establishing a branch of his order in this country, but he was obliged to leave Queensland on account of the excessive heat not agreeing with his constitution. Since his arrival in this colony he has had the care of the Newcastle mission, and under his care the splendid church and school in this city have been erected, and many valuable improvements have been added to the Presbytery. He was greatly beloved by his parishioners, and was very much esteemed by all his neighbouring Catholic clergymen. He was considered one of the best informed clergymen of their communion in the colonies, and the elegant hospitality at all times dispensed by him attracted many of his fellow-clergymen to Newcastle. The affection borne by them to him was strongly manifested during his long and painful illness, by their frequent enquiries and visits, Father Cusse being a foreigner had a great difficulty in making himself clearly understood by his congregation by having to address them in the English language. He was, nevertheless, much respected and revered by the members of the church with which he has been so long connected. His remains were removed to the church last evening, and were placed near the altar, where they wilt remain till to-day. He will be interred soon after the Requiem Mass, which will commence at eleven o clock. A brick vault has been built on the south side of the entrance to the church, and it is proposed to erect there a monument


 
Item: 197947
Surname: Dalton (obit)
First Name: John
Ship: -
Date: 9 May 1898
Place: Newcastle
Source: NMH
Details: DEATH OF MR. JOHN DALTON. Mr. John Dalton, the well-known tug proprietor of Scott street, who had been ailing for some time past, died at his residence, King-street, at 20 minutes past 12 o clock yesterday morning at the age of 75 years. Mr. Dalton came to the colony in 1850, and has spent the greater part of his life in this district. He was at the time of his death the owner of the tugs Awbins, Emu, Young Bungaree, Secret Storm King, and Pilot. He leaves six children, all of whom are grown up, one daughter being the wife of Dr. John Harris, of Watt-street, and one son is a qualified medical practitioner.


 
Item: 196984
Surname: Daly (obit)
First Name: Mrs. David
Ship: -
Date: 16 August 1895
Place: Maitland
Source: The Albury Banner and Wodonga Express
Details: An old identity of Maitland passed away in the person of Mrs. David Daly. She was the relict of David Daly who died some five years ago. The deceased was an active women up to a few months ago. Her last illness has occupied some 14 weeks and no doubt the bitter winter which has been so severe a trial to many aged people had its effect with that of old age in terminating her life. Mrs. Daly was 86 years old and lived in the Paterson and Maitland district for over 60 years


 
Item: 169139
Surname: Daly (obit.,)
First Name: Mrs. Edward J (Elizabeth)
Ship: -
Date: 19 January 1895
Place: Maitland
Source: Evening News Sydney
Details: The death of Mrs. E.J. Daly for many years postmistress of West Maitland occurred at her residence East Maitland. Mrs. Daly was 77 years of age and had been for some time ailing. Mr. Daly husband of the deceased lady was postmaster in 1843 and on his early death his widow was appointed in his room Mrs. Daly was punctilious in the extreme in the discharge of duty and far famed for charity.......


 
Item: 100275
Surname: Dangar (obit.,)
First Name: Mrs. Thomas
Ship: -
Date: 1 March 1860
Place: Scone
Source: MM
Details: OBITUARY - It is our painful duty to record the demise on Wednesday morning last, at her residence in Scone, of one of our old and much-respected inhabitants -we mean the lady of Tbomas Dangar, Esq. The deceased lady had been a severe sufferer during the last three years ; and during the latter twelve months of her life had been totally helpless, through paralysis in her lower extremities, as also her mental faculties being impaired. The illness of Mrs. Dangar, as well as her daughter, was the means of compelling Mr. Dangar to relinquish business some years ago, and watch over the sick-bed of his suffering wife and child. Mrs. Dangar was in her 57th year, when death's unrelenting hand came and removed her from earthly sufferings, we believe, " To enjoy that rest which remains for the people of God." This is the second bereavement during the last twelve months that 'has taken place in the above gentleman's family, having, eleven months and three weeks ago, committed to the tomb the ashes of his only daughter, aged l8 years We deeply sympathise with that gentleman's severe loss of a beloved wife, affection- ate mother, and valued member of society. Her remains were deposited in the family fault on Thursday afternoon last, in tho presence of 130 of the most influential and respectable inhabitants of the district.



<<  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next  >>