Free Settler or Felon

Search Result

Search


First Name



Surname / Subject



Ship








Search Results



<<  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next  >>
 
Item: 197023
Surname: Russell (obit)
First Name: Mrs. Alexander
Ship: -
Date: 20 August 1918
Place: Branxton
Source: 20 August 1918
Details: The death occurred at her residence, Branxton, of a very old and esteemed resident in the person of Mrs. Russell, relict of the late Alexander Russell. The deceased lady had been a resident of Branxton for over half a century. She was a native of Scotland, and arrived in this State at an early age. After the death of her husband a few years ago, she went to reside with her son, Councillor Russell, at Radsfordslea, where her death took place. Two of her sons, Messrs. Alex. and George Russell, were drowned together in the disastrous flood of 1893, but she bore the affliction with true Christian fortitude, which was the chief characteristic of her long life. She leaves one son and four daughters to mourn their loss. The remains were interred in the Methodist cemetery at Branxton, and the funeral was very largely attended.


 
Item: 163867
Surname: Russell (obit.,)
First Name: Captain Bourn
Ship: -
Date: 6 July 1880
Place: -
Source: SMH
Details: The hon. Bourn Russell, who has just passed from amongst us, at the ripe age of 85, was born at Rye, in the South of England, on 1st December, 1794. In early life he received a good education, but while very young, his father, Bourn Russell, was killed at sea, while in command of a sailing vessel. His grand- father was also killed at sea, while in command of a vessel, carrying despatches at the siege of Gibraltar. Coming of such a stock, it is not surprising that Mr. Russell early resolved to follow a seafaring life, and by the time he was 21 years of age he was in command of a vessel. Soon afterwards he became captain of a vessel trading to China and the South Seas. Of this vessel he was tempted to become part owner ; and for this purpose sold the family property, which had come to him as the only son. While amongst the islands of the Pacific he made several surveys of (then) little known places, and published a map in Sydney which was much used at the time. When he was about 30 years of age he was induced, like many energetic men of the time, to engage in whale-fishing, and made several voyages from Sydney for that purpose. In these he made a considerable sum of money, and determined to settle in this colony, which he had first visited in 1826. His family, consisting of Mrs. Russell, three sons, and two daughters, came to the colony in 1834. Mr. Russell, the astronomer, and one other son were born after the family settled at Maitland in 1835. In Maitland Mr. Russell began a general business and rapidly accumulated money and some station property; but in 1842, during the great crisis in this colony, his name was found on so much of the paper of a Sydney firm, that all he had acquired was lost. Thrown thus on his own energy, he made a start again, and succeeded in making a moderate competency. Throughout his residence in Maitland, he was identified with every movement having the wel fare of the district in view, and for many years sat upon the bench there. From the first general election in 1843, he always took an active part in politics. About 1856 he contested the Maitland electorate with Mr. (now the Honorable) E. C. Weekes, but was not successful. Soon after, however, he was nominated to a seat in the Upper House, and has always taken an active part in its deliberations. This session he has several times attended, but finding the infirmities of age creeping upon him, he obtained leave of absence. Although getting gradually weaker, there were no symptoms to indicate that his end was near until Saturday morning. Even then he rallied again, and his medical attendant thought him decidedly better in the afternoon, and the danger seemed past. About 11 p.m., however, the unfavourable symptoms returned. Yet he was still able to walk about his room and converse with his daughter, and, getting some relief from the pain, laid himself down to sleep, asking at a quarter past 12 what time it was. He then seemed to go to sleep, and quietly breathed his last


 
Item: 176130
Surname: Sadleir (Obit.,)
First Name: Lieutenant Richard
Ship: -
Date: 7 March 1889
Place: Liverpool
Source: Evening News
Details: DEATH OF COMMANDER, SADLEIR, R.N. At 2.30 p.in. yesterday, the last breath of life left the body of Commander Richard Sadleir, the inevitable fate overtaking the venerable gentleman at his residence, Macquarie-street ,Liverpool. He had reached the great age of 95years; and from the extraordinary vitality and retention of his intellectual faculties, until very recently, seemed to bid fair to become a centenarian. He was quite hale and hearty until some seven months ago, when he slipped from a doorstep, injuring his hip. This prostrated. Him a great deal, and his relatives believe the accident was responsible -in hastening his end.? Commander, or as he was better- known, Captain- Sadlier, was born on May 6, 1794, near Cork, Ireland, he being the son of a clergyman of the Church of England. He joined the British Royal. Navy as midshipman at the age of 14, remaining in nautical pursuits for twenty-one years, and reaching the grade he held until his death. During his maritime career he passed through some stirring scenes, and though not engaged in any actual naval battles, was in dangerous work, such as. cutting out vessels, &e., on many occasions. Sixty years ago he made New South Wales his home, about his last service at sea being to bring a shipload of emigrants to these shores. Almost is earliest - avocation on shore was to undertake mission -to the aborigines, after which he was engaged in various humane duties until appointed by Government to the charge of the Boys Orphan School (now Bonnyrigg Farm), near Liverpool. He remained there for many years, and most of his family of five were born there, he having -taken to wife Miss Cartwright, daughter of. the then incumbent of the Church of England at Liverpool. Of these five children but two remain alive, viz., Mr. Robert Sadleir, of Liverpool, and Mrs. Eames, of Sydney. Some . years of Captain Sadleir s subsequent life were spent in Liverpool, and on the Hunter. For the Hunter electorate he was returned member of Parliament, and worked very hard in connection with the famous Education Act introduced by Mr.(now Sir Henry) Parkes. Returning to Liverpool, he purchased the pretty estate now widely known as Warwick Farm Racecourse, residing there for four years. The tremendous and disastrous flood of eighteen years ago, caused him tore-sell this property, and he made his home in Liverpool once more. He was one of the oldest magistrates in the colony, and very carefully attended to administration of justice in that district, practice which he carefully and- honorably followed until within seven months of his death. Sixteen years ago he interested himself strongly in the formation of the Municipality of Liverpool, and, on his efforts being successful, he was elected alderman, then Mayor (the first ever elected there), while most of his colleagues in council have long since gone over to the great majority CommanderSadleir was one of the first movers toward the formation of that valuable Institution, the Sydney Bethel, and his name remained on the books until his death. When very ill, seven years ago, he resigned, but the other members of the executive refused to take his name from the books.- He was tireless in laboring for any movement for the good of his fellow man, and brought the resources of a determined will, clear intellect, keen wit, readi ness of repartee, and a ready pen to his work. Surrounded by his children and grandchildren he passed away into the great unknown serenely and peaceable, keeping his senses until a very few minutes before the end. By their deeds shall ye know them, and the departing benefactor of his race had no dread of the future from his past deeds. He was buried in the Church of England Cemetery, Liverpool, today.


 
Item: 168870
Surname: Scott (obit.,)
First Name: Captain David Charles Frederick
Ship: -
Date: 19 May 1881
Place: -
Source: Sydney Morning Herald
Details: We have to chronicle the death of Captain Scott, which occurred on May 16, who had held the position of Police Magistrate at the Central Police Court for about a quarter of a century. Mr David Charles Frederick Scott was first appointed under the colonial Government on the 27th February, 1849. He was commissioned as a magistrate of the Metropolitan Police Court on the 13th July, 1860. and although five years have elapsed since he did active duty, ho retained that appointment until the time of his death. About five years ago, in consequence of failing health, he relinquished magisterial work, being granted sick leave. Deceased was born in Scotland. He married a daughter of the late Colonel Barney, R.E. Both Mr. Scott and his estimable wife displayed much zeal in connection with the establishment of the Lisgar Protestant Orphan School. Mr. Scott was also instrumental in initiating a poor-box, which was erected at the Central Police Court. Deceased was of a very benevolent and urbane disposition, and was always ready to afford assistance to persons who were in want of it.


 
Item: 161724
Surname: Scott (obit.,)
First Name: Helenus
Ship: -
Date: 26 August 1879
Place: -
Source: MM
Details: DEATH OF MB, HELENTJS SCOTT, J.P.-At a late hour last night, we received information of the decease of Mr. Helenus Scott, J.P., of this city, The deceased gentleman had reached the ripe old age of seventy-seven years, and expired at his residence half-past 6 o'clock yesterday evening. Prior to his retirement, about eighteen months past, Mr. Scott had occupied the position of Police Magistrate at Newcastle, when he obtained leave of absence


 
Item: 161631
Surname: Scott (obit.,)
First Name: Walter
Ship: -
Date: 27 January 1855
Place: England
Source: Maitland Mercury
Details: THE LATE DR. SCOTT.-It has seldom fallen to our lot to have to record the decease of one so universally respected and esteemed as Dr. Walter Scott, of Eskdale, a notice of whose death appeared in our obituary on Wednesday. For some years past he had been suffering from chronic disease, and had deemed it advisable to take a trip to his native country, thereby, if possible, to recruit his failing health. He accordingly left the colony in the early part of last year for Britain, but unfortunately his con- stitution was too much shattered to sustain any benefit from the change, and after lingering for a few months he expired in London on the 10th October. The many spirited public services rendered in times past by the late Dr. Scott, coupled with private acts of kindness liberally bestowed, have secured for him a reputation which will be long ere it is effaced from the remembrance of the older inhabitants of this district, and his loss will be long felt by those who came within the sphere of his unosten- tatious benevolence. Although essentially one of those few mild and good men who


 
Item: 166501
Surname: Scott (obit.,) (Ash Island)
First Name: Alexander Walker
Ship: -
Date: 6 November 1883
Place: -
Source: MM
Details: DEATH OF Mr, A. W. SCOTT-The death is recorded (says the Newcastle Herald of yesterday), of Mr. Alexander Walker Scott, at the age of eighty three years, Mr. Scott was a colonist of more than fifty years' standing, and for a long time a resident of Ash Island, Hunter River, where he was well and deservedly respected by all classes. For the last seventeen years he had filled the position of a Commissioner of Titles under the Real Property Act, and had also been a trustee of the Museum, in which institution he took a lively interest. The remains of the deceased gentleman were interred in the Waverley Cemetery, on Friday afternoon. The funeral was strictly private; the only persons present beside his relatives and family connections being Dr. J. C. Cox, Mr Richard Jones, one of the Lands Title Commissioners, and Mr. E. G. Ward, chairman of the Board of Commissioners.


 
Item: 183775
Surname: Shelton (nee Garrett) (obit)
First Name: Emily
Ship: -
Date: 8 January 1935
Place: Dungog
Source: The Gloucester Advocate
Details: Mrs. Emily Shelton. Widespread regret was expressed throughout the town and district on Thursday last when news of the cjeath of Mrs. Emily Shelton, wife of Mr. John Shelton, Fosterton Road, became known. The passing of Mrs. Shelton has removed from our midst, one of the earliest pioneers of the Dungog district, and one who was held highest respect by all sections of the community. The late Mrs. Shelton was 83 years of age at the time of her death, and came from England with her parents, the late Mr. and Mrs. James Garrett, as a child in arms. They landed in Sydney and the parents settled at West Maitland, and after wards went to Seven Oaks on the Paterson. Later on they removed to Mount Oliver, Bandon Grove, and continued to engage in farming pur suits. Her marriage to Mr. John Shelton was celebrated in her parents home at Bandon Grove, in 1868, when 17 years of age, and from then on wards they continued in agricultural and dairying pursuits in that centre. In those early days the only means of travel was by bullock waggon, and there were no defined roads, while cedar grew plentifully on the river flats. Undaunted by temporary setbacks, common to the pioneers, the late Mrs. Shelton and her husband gradually cleared a holding and continued to win through and prosper, until 30 years ago, when they retired and came to live in Dungog. The funeral, which was attended by a large and representative gather in, took place on Friday, when the remains were laid to rest in the Methodist portion of the Bandon Grova cemetery, near by the late Mr. Allan Sheltons grave. Rev. J. Robb.


 
Item: 197035
Surname: Singleton (obit)
First Name: George Australia
Ship: -
Date: 28 January 1899
Place: Singleton
Source: The Maitland Weekly Mercury
Details: After a lengthy suffering from a painful illness one of this district s oldest residents, Mr. George Australia Singleton, passed peacefully away on Friday evening at the residence of Mr. T. K. Coughlan, George street, Singleton. Mr. Singleton, who was 70 years of age at his demise was the last surviving son of the late Mr. Benjamin Singleton, who was a member of Howes party when Patrick Plains was discovered in 1818, and who founded the town of Singleton. Deceased was born in Maitland, but nearly all his life was spent in this district. Mr. Benjamin Singleton, deceased s father, had four sons, Benjamin, William, John, and George; and six daughters, Elizabeth (Mrs. Yeomans), Hannah (Mrs. Campbell), Sarah (Mrs. Russell), Mary (Mrs. Lloyd), Emma (Mrs. Vindin), and Louisa (Mrs. Schulzin). Of these ten descendants, the last named is the only one now living. The subject of this notice was married to Miss Todhunter of a well known family in the western districts, and leaves a widow and one daughter. Mr. Singleton was for many years a thorough devoted sportsman of the old school, and loved the sport of kings, free from mercenary motives, and almost up to the day of his death he took an interest, in the breeding and training of racehorses. During the fifties, sixties, seventies, and even eighties not a race meeting was held at Singleton at which deceased did not put in an appearance, and very frequently his horses, sported silk. For many years he acted as clerk of the course and, attired in full uniform with the conventional red hunting coat, his commanding figure gave great eclat to the proceedings. He was the breeder of some good horses and besides his performances on the turf he was an exhibitor of Blood Stock at Singleton shows and took very many prizes.


 
Item: 189316
Surname: Skinner (obit)
First Name: Thomas
Ship: -
Date: 31 July 1896
Place: Maitland
Source: Maitland Daily Mercury
Details: One of the oldest residents in the Maitland , district, Mr. Thomas Skinner, died at his residence, Devonshire- street, West Maitland, at one o clock this afternoon. The late Mr. Skinner was 79 years of age, and died from a general break up of the system from old age. On Friday last, he took to bed, and had up to the time of his death been attended by Dr. Pentland. The deceased leaves a widow and family of eleven grown up sons and daughters, four of whom are married. The late Mr. Skinner, who was widely known and respected, came to the colony in the year 1828, and has since continually resided in the Maitland district. He was a carpenter by trade, and assisted in the building of many of the older places in town, but has lived a retired life for the past thirty years. His father came to the colony to take charge of a large estate adjoining Duckenfield Park, part of which near the Raymond Terrace road is still known as Skinner s Hollow, and it was he who built one of the first brick cottages in Elgin-street, on the site of Mr. H. G. Tuck s present property,


 
Item: 191010
Surname: Slattery (obit)
First Name: Daniel
Ship: -
Date: 16 May 1894
Place: Branxton
Source: The Maitland Daily Mercury
Details: Obituary of Daniel Slattery, an old and highly respected resident of Branxton who passed peacefully over to the great majority after a long and painful illness.


 
Item: 117504
Surname: Smeathman (obit.,)
First Name: Major Charles Thomas
Ship: -
Date: 17 January 1835
Place: Sydney
Source: SG
Details: Died on 16 January 1835 at his residence in Sussex Street, South, Major Charles Thomas Smeathman, Coroner for Sydney, aged 60 years. Major Smeathman was an officer who had participated in several of those brilliant exploits that had distinguished the British on the Continent of Europe. During his residence in the colony of seven years, he has been regarded as a kind hearted and benevolent man, and his loss will be deeply felt by a large circle of friends.


 
Item: 169134
Surname: Smith (neeRhall) (obit.,)
First Name: Jane
Ship: -
Date: 5 July 1902
Place: Newcastle
Source: Freemans Journal Sydney
Details: Born in Preston England in 1825 and came to Australia two years later. Married J.T. Smith, builder. Died July 1902. One of the oldest members of the St. Marys Star of the Sea Church.


 
Item: 189196
Surname: Smith (obit)
First Name: John Thomas
Ship: -
Date: 19 May 1933
Place: Fullerton Cove
Source: Maitland Daily Mercury
Details: Mr. John Thomas Smith of Fullerton Cove, Stockton, who died at his residence on May 15 aged 78 years was a native of the district and had resided all his life at Maitland or Fullerton Cove. The late Mr. Smith laid claim to the unique distinction that his father also was a native of the district. His farm, was originally granted by the Crown to the late Mr. Smith s grandfather, John (Gentleman) Smith about 100 years ago. The grandfather as a well known northern figure in the State s earliest history, and he was the original grantee from the Crown of valuable Newcastle city allotments. It may well be claimed that the late Mr. Smith was of pioneer stock and he was always naturally proud of the fact. In his youth, the late Mr. Smith was one of Maitland s earliest Rugby footballers, when the game in Australia was in its infancy. During his life he took a keen interest in horse racing and in the breeding of bloodstock. He is survived by three sons, Raymond Cleave, and Eric


 
Item: 161640
Surname: Smith (obit.,)
First Name: Erskine Samuel
Ship: -
Date: 17 January 1931
Place: Bondi
Source: SMH
Details: OBITUARY. MR. ERSKINE S. SMITH. Mr. Erskine Samuel Smith, who died at Bondi on Thursday after a long illness, was a member of a family dating back to the earliest times In Australia, his grandmother having been a sister of Lieut.-Colonel Erskine, who was Lieutenant-Governor in the time of Governor Macquarie. Mr. Smith was 63 years of age, and was a son of Mr. and Mrs. W. A. Smith, of Mount McKinlay, Dungog. After a banking career In New South Wales he went to South Africa and served during the Boer war as a captain in the Cape Peninsula Riflles, his commanding officer being Sir Walter Davidson, afterwards Governor of New South Wales. For several years he was town clerk of Woodstock (Capetown). On his return to Australia before the war he commenced practice as an accountant in Sydney and carried on business until ill-health compelled his retirement In 1922. He is survived by five sons (Dr. Bruce Smith, of Toowoomba, Alderman Aubrey Smith, of Woollahra, Mr. C. W. Smith (Forestry Commission), Mr. Reg. Smith (Stamp Duties Office), and Mr. Newton Smith, and three daughters (Mrs. Torrington and Misses Lily and Gladys Smith).


 
Item: 197032
Surname: Spinks (obit)
First Name: George
Ship: -
Date: 13 April 1901
Place: Singleton
Source: The Maitland Weekly Mercury
Details: We have to record with much regret the rather sudden demise of Mr. George Spinks at his residence, Redbournberry, on the 3rd instant, the cause of death having been heart disease. He belongs to an old and well-known family in the Hunter River District, his father having been one of the pioneers in this locality. The deceased, who had attained his 65th wear, was an old and respected resident of the district, born at Sydney. When he was two years old his parents removed to the Hunter. His father, Mr. John Spinks, established the first tannery at Maitland, on account of which the Government awarded him a grant of land, where the stores of Messrs. E. P. Capper and Sons now stand. Mr. Spinks subsequently sold out and removed with. his -family first to Paterson, then to Branxton, and after wards to Scotts Flat, where his family matured. Mr. George Spinks was deservedly popular, highly esteemed and respected by all who knew him, a good friend, a good neighbour, and a worthy example of steady, careful thriftiness. Unostentatious but genial, he pursued the even tenor of his way, and proved himself a successful farmer and grazier. He married a Miss Head, and made his home at Wildwood, where he took upland .and improved it. Only recently he purchased a portion of Redbournberry Estate,, and made a comfortable home for his declining years. But a Higher Power decreed otherwise;, and he was Removed to his eternal rest. His family is numbered eleven - six sons and five daughters. Two of the latter, Mrs. Tinkler and Mrs. Chas. Campbell pre-deceased him. His estimable wife survives him, and his mother is still living, who will soon have attained a century of years. The funeral was very largely attended.


 
Item: 184095
Surname: Stack (obit)
First Name: Rev. Canon William
Ship: -
Date: 24 June 1871
Place: -
Source: Australian Town and Country Journal
Details: This much esteemed clergyman, whose death has recently awakened in all parts of the country a feeling of deep sorrow, and who will long be remembered with affection by those who were well acquainted with him, was a native of Ireland. He was the son of a clergyman of the United Church of England and Ireland. Mr. Stack was educated at Trinity Colloge, Dublin, and on the completion of his studies was ordained in his native country. In 1838 he came to this colony, with hisfamily, in the same ship which brought out General Sir Maurice O Connell and the Rev. Mr. Sowerby, now Dean of Goulburn. The Rev. W. Stack was sent to occupy a sphere of duty in this country, as a clergyman of the church of his fathers, under the auspices of the Society for the Propogation of the Gospel His first colonial charge was West Maitland and the valley of the Hunter from that town upwards. A district of such extent, with numerous townships increasing in importance every year, must have tasked the energies of any minister of religion who desired to fulfil his duty to God and man. And the Rev.W. Stack did not spare himself in his effort for the spiritual good and social improvement of his charge. A writer in the Maitland Mercury of Saturday last,-who had known him from 1842 onwards to the time of Mr. Stack s departure from that district, a witness of his career, thus speaks of him - When we came to Maitland to assist in establishing the Mercury, at the close of the year 1842, we found the Rev. William Stack one of the most prominent citizens of the town in all public matters, and in most earnest and religious minister of the Gospel He was then a young man, in the prime of life, and a most vigorous, useful life he led among uns Scarcely any clergyman within our recollection, has secured so thoroughly the sympathy anc respect and affection of all his congregation high and low, as Mr. Stack then did. In the large district where he began his colonial career, he laboured with great zeal and self-denial until tho formation of the diocese of Newcastle, when his extensive charge was subdivided, one clergymen stationed successively at Musselbrook, Scone, and Murrurundi. Mr. Stack, when the new arrangement was made, removed to St. Peters Church, Campbelltown, in thediocese of Sydney, There he remained until 1855......


 
Item: 172844
Surname: Stanton (obit.,)
First Name: James
Ship: -
Date: 9 August 1928
Place: Dungog
Source: The Maitland Daily Mercury
Details: Death of Dungog pioneer - The death occurred at Wauchope of Mr. James Stanton one of the early pioneers of Dungog district. The deceased was 81 years of age, 50 of which was spent in the Dungog district on the property where he was born. His wife pre deceased him by 46 years....


 
Item: 196926
Surname: Street (obit)
First Name: Peter
Ship: 1852
Date: 20 November 1918
Place: Islington
Source: Australian Town and Country Journal
Details: The late Mr. Peter Street, whose death occurred at the residence of his son, Mr. Charles Street, at Islington, arrived in Australia in 1852, and shortly afterwards became associated with the gold diggings in Victoria. On one occasion he, with two companions, was stuck up by Frank Gardiner, the bushranger, and his gang. Mr. Street had with him gold to the value, of £150, which was wrapped in some pieces of cloth, and which the bushrangers failed to detect in their search. Having assured himself that the prospectors had no money Gardner- gave them 10s each, and told them to keep off the road for the future. Mr. Street went to Newcastle in 1857, and started business as a builder and contractor. Among his contracts was the building of the old stone structure in Laman-street,: formerly the Hidden Treasure Hotel. The hotel derived its name from the fact that Mr. Street, while sinking a well, came across a bucket containing a large number of coins. Among other buildings with the erection of which Mr. Street was associated was the old Newcastle Post Office, at the corner of Hunter and Watt streets, now used as the offices of the Public Works. Department. The deceased was born in Alsabe-Lorraine. in 1836, when it was French territory


 
Item: 196968
Surname: Sweet (obit)
First Name: John
Ship: 1847
Date: 21 February 1893
Place: Newcastle
Source: The Australian Star
Details: Another old colonist has gone over to the great majority in the person of Mr. John Sweet, who died at his residence, New castle, last night, at the advanced age of 75. The deceased gentleman came to this colony in 1847, and settled down in West Maitland in 1850. He resided there for about 30 years, and then removed to Newcastle, where he had lived since. Mr. Sweet lived an active life, and participated in many stirring scenes in the interior. He was at the Turon, Lambing Flat, Rocky River and other gold fields, and had many encounters with bushrangers. He assisted to capture Wilson, the outlaw, after the latter shot Peter Clark on the top of Warland s Range, a few miles this side of Murrurundi. It is worthy of note, however (and a fact about which the old gentleman was very proud), that although he was frequently bailed up by desperados they never robbed him. He used to state the cause of this to be that he always, when in camp, asked any stranger to have a pot of tea and a meal. His wife died last May, since which he suffered a gradual breaking-up of the system, but the immediate cause of death was dropsy. Mr. Sweet leaves one son, viz., Mr. J. Miller Sweet, who is well known in journalistic circles, from his long connection with the Newcastle Morning Herald, of which Paper he was the founder.



<<  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next  >>