Free Settler or Felon

Search Result

Search


First Name



Surname / Subject



Ship








Search Results



<<  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next  >>
 
Item: 197048
Surname: Langsford (obit)
First Name: Mrs. Mary
Ship: -
Date: 20 August 1901
Place: Singleton
Source: The Australian Star
Details: The death of Mrs. Mary Langsford was recorded yesterday afternoon, the cause being primarily, chronic bronchitis, and secondarily senile decay and heart failure. Mrs. Langsford was 84 years of age, having been born at St. Mewan, in Cornwall, England, on May 10, 1817. Early in life she removed to St. Neot, where she was married to Mr. Thomas Langsford in 1839, her husband at that time carrying on the business of milling and farming. In 1863 the Langsfords came to New South Wales, and have resided in the Singleton district most of that time. In November, 1869, Mr. Langsford closed an honourable career, and his widow long mourned his loss. The deceased leaves one son. Mr. W. Langsford, of Dunolly, 22 grandchildren, and nine great-grandchildren.


 
Item: 163354
Surname: Last (obit.,)
First Name: Major-General Edward
Ship: -
Date: 19 February 1870
Place: -
Source: Launceston Examiner (TAS)
Details: The Death is announced of Major-General Edward Last, a New Zealand veteran, and formerly Lieut-Col of the 21st Foot (North British Fusiliers) During the outbreak in New Zealand in 1846, Major Last commanded the Southern district and was present at the engagement at Bulcott's Farm, valley of the Hutt, in May 1846; he commanded at the capture of the rebel leader, To Rauparaha, and other influential chiefs, and the disarming of their followers in July of the same year, and also at the affair of the Horokiwi, on August 6, when the rebels were routed and ultimately dispersed. General Last was appointed to the 21st Foot in 1857 but retired soon afterwards on full pay


 
Item: 197121
Surname: Lawler (obit)
First Name: George
Ship: -
Date: 26 February 1935
Place: Morpeth
Source: NMH
Details: Mr George Lawler, one of the oldest residents of the Morpeth district, died last Thursday at the residence of his daughter, Mrs. W Callinan, Swan Street, Morpeth in his 80th year. He was born on a farm at Phoenix Park in which he spent over 70 years, till his retirement a few years ago, when he settled with his daughter in Morpeth. he was a lover of sport, and for many, years played with the Phoenix Park Cricket Club. He was also an admirer of horses, and for some years followed the turf with his own horses, which he trained. He was also a member of the old Morpeth Hunt Club. He is survived by six sons and three daughters, Messrs. John, William, George, Alfred, James, and Edward Lawler, Mesdames F. Stan den, J. OToole, and. W. Callinan, also by 31 grandchildren and six great grandchildren


 
Item: 197115
Surname: Lee (obit)
First Name: David
Ship: -
Date: 6 December 1884
Place: Morpeth
Source: Maitland Mercury
Details: Mr. David Lee, aged 84 years, a very old Morpeth resident, died somewhat suddenly on Monday last, 1st inst. He died at the residence of Miss Lee, his daughter, who is organist of St. Bede s R. C. Church. The funeral took place yesterday (Tuesday); the deceased was buried in the R. C. Cemetery, when Father Corcoran conducted the funeral A large number of residents from all parts of the district attended to pay their last respects to the memory of a highly respected citizen and out of sympathy with his esteemed daughter


 
Item: 165299
Surname: Lethbridge (obit.,)
First Name: George Langworthy
Ship: -
Date: 31 May 1917
Place: -
Source: SMH
Details: An old Singleton identity in the person of Mr. George Langworthy Lethbridge passed away recently when within a few weeks of his 90th birthday. The deceased was a son of Captain Robert Lethbridge, R.N., who was given a grant of land by Governor Bourke for his conduct in saving the Governor's despatches when his ship was burnt at sea in 1821. The late Mr. Lethbridge was born at Parramatta in 1827, and was educated at The King's School, and in England. After his return from England he was occupied on his father's estate at Bridgman, near Singleton, and a little later went to manage a cattle station of his father's on the Horton River, near Barraba. Here he resided for no less than 30 years, living for the most part in a small bark-covered hut. When the cattle station was sold he returned to Bridgman, where he lived for over 40 years. During the period of his life at the cattle station, which was known as Currangandi, Mr. Lethbridge took part in an interesting expedition of exploration. The party, which included Mr. Kelman, of Kirkton, Mr. William Carter, of Goorangoola, and two aborigines, started on February 14, 1854. They went as far as Peake Range, being the third party out after Leichhardt, the great explorer. The second party -- Hedley Mitchell's - was killed by blacks; and Mr. Lethbridge's party got Mitchell's horses and brought them in. They returned about the middle of August, having been out six months from day of starting. A lot of country was taken up on the head of Palm Tree Creek, a tributary of the Dawson, with more country on the Dawson and Mackenzie rivers. On the eastern side of the Peake Range a beautiful bit of Downs country, with plenty of water, fell to the lot of Mr. Lethbridge, and to this day is called Lethbridge's Pocket. Mr. Lethbridge was a noted breeder of stock while at Bridgman, and was for many years a member of the Northern Agricultural Association. He was a noted authority on sheep. He took a keen interest in local affairs, and had been for many years the oldest J.P. in the district. The fact that a driving accident had crippled him many years ago did not prevent him regularly being present at the committee meeting of the Agricultural Association, and attending other duties. He took a lively interest in public matters up to within a few months of his death, which occurred at a private hospital in Singleton. The funeral took place at Bridgman, the burial service being conducted by Archdeacon Tollis, of East Maitland, and the Rev. C. N. Mell, of Singleton.


 
Item: 184763
Surname: Lewis (obit)
First Name: Morimer W
Ship: -
Date: 14 January 1899
Place: Kogarah
Source: The Maitland Weekly Mercury
Details: The late Mr Mortimer W. Lewis, who died at Kogarah on Saturday last at the age of 78, was born at Regents Park, London, in 1820, and was amongst the oldest residents of the colony, having come out in tho year 1830 with his father, who was one of the Royal military surveyors appointed by the Earl of Mulgrave in 1811, afterwards first town survevor of Sydney and Colonial Architect. Mr. Lewis was appointed in 1835 at tbe age of 14 to the Royal Engineers Department, under the late Colonel George Barney. In 1837 he received an appointment in the Surveyor General s Department, under the late Colonel Sir T. L. Mitchell, and in 1843 was appointed to the Colonial Architects Department, where he served until his retirement on a well-earned pension in 1891, after a faithful service of 56 years, 54 years of which were spent in the colonial service and two years in the Im perial service. In the Colonial Architect s Depart ment Mr. Lewia was in charge of the northern district from Cooranbong to Newcastle, Tenterfield, Narrabri, and Walgett, in the days that travelling had to be done on horseback or coach, before the railways came ioto operation, and all the principal Government buildings then in the northern district were designed and carried out under his supervision, as well as the Banks of Australasia at New castle and East Maitland, St. John s Roman Catholic Church at West Maitland, now the Cathedral, and many others, the latter buildings having been erected at the time public officers were allowed to do private work. Part of the Newcastle Breakwater was also carried out under his supervision.


 
Item: 184764
Surname: Lewis (obit)
First Name: Mortimer jun.,
Ship: -
Date: 14 January 1899
Place: Kogarah
Source: The Maitland Weekly Mercury
Details: The late Mr Mortimer William Lewis, who died at Kogarah on Saturday last at the age of 78, was born at Regents Park, London, in 1820, and was amongst the oldest residents of the colony, having come out in the year 1830 with his father, who was one of the Royal military surveyors appointed by the Earl of Mulgrave in 1811, afterwards first town surveyor of Sydney and Colonial Architect. Mr. Lewis was appointed in 1835 at the age of 14 to the Royal Engineers Department, under the late Colonel George Barney. In 1837 he received an appointment in the Surveyor General s Department, under the late Colonel Sir T. L. Mitchell, and in 1843 was appointed to the Colonial Architects Department, where he served until his retirement on a well-earned pension in 1891, after a faithful service of 56 years, 54 years of which were spent in the colonial service and two years in the Imperial service. In the Colonial Architect s Department Mr. Lewis was in charge of the northern district from Cooranbong to Newcastle, Tenterfield, Narrabri, and Walgett, in the days that travelling had to be done on horseback or coach, before the railways came into operation, and all the principal Government buildings then in the northern district were designed and carried out under his supervision, as well as the Banks of Australasia at New castle and East Maitland, St. John s Roman Catholic Church at West Maitland, now the Cathedral, and many others, the latter buildings having been erected at the time public officers were allowed to do private work. Part of the Newcastle Breakwater was also carried out under his supervision.


 
Item: 162253
Surname: Lewis (obit.,)
First Name: Mortimer William senior
Ship: -
Date: 27 March 1879
Place: -
Source: SMH
Details: Obituary - Mr. M.W. Lewis, The late Mr. Mortimer William Lewis, whose death we recorded in a recent issue, commenced his professional life at an early age. On the 19th November 1811 he was appointed by the Master General of Ordnance to the position of cadet surveyor and draftsman, and after a course of instruction extending over three years in mathematics, military surveying and plan drawing, fortification, and the construction of buildings bridges etc. he passed a satisfactory examination before a Board of officers. Soon afterwards he was appointed to the corps of Royal Military Surveyors and Draftsmen. Not long afterwards a surveyor and draftsman being required at the office of the Inspector General of Fortifications , Head Quarters, he was selected, though a junior, as a fit and proper person for the duties of the position, which were important and partly confidential, consisting principally of taking charge of the plans and correspondence relating thereto, as received from all parts of the world where Engineer officers were stationed. He had to make copies of the most important plans and documents, in order to make himself thoroughly acquainted with their substance, so that he might be able to explain instantly any question relative to the different subjects as the Inspector General might require the information. He remained in this position more than seven years, giving entire satisfaction to his superior officers and acquiring that experience and general information in his profession which proved so valuable to him afterwards. His health, however, suffered so much from the close confinement and hard work that he deemed it advisable to retire for a time upon half pay, and for the succeeding eight years he was occupied in private surveying and building. Whilst thus engaged he received intimation from Colonel Wedderburn, secretary to Sir George Murray, that if he would accept an appointment as a surveyor in New South Wales the situation was at his service. After a few days consideration, and wishing for a change of scene, he obtained leave from the Ordnance department, and accepted the appointment, arriving in the colony in March 1830. Under the orders of the Surveyor General Sir Thomas Mitchell, he proceeded at once into the interior to survey the main dividing range between the eastern and western watershed. He was engaged in this work for upwards of two years, and obtained the express approval of the Surveyor General for the manner in which he performed his work. Sir Richard Bourke having heard of his former employment in the Ordnance Department appointed Mr. Lewis as the first Town Survey for Sydney, and afterwards made him Colonial Architect. His efforts in this position earned him the express approval of Sir Richard Bourke, Sir George Gipps, Sir Charles Fitzroy, and the then Colonial Secretaries. Among the public buildings erected by him may be mentioned the Court House and goal, Darlinghurst, The Colonial Treasury, Custom House and Government House, Sydney. He also designed the Court houses and gaols at Newcastle, Maitland, Muswellbrook, Parramatta, Berrima etc and also the Lunatic Asylum, Gladesville and several churches and private buildings. He also carried out the alteration of the old building in Macquarie Street into the first Parliament House and the conversion of the old Military Hospital into the first National School. With the Hon. Sir E. Deas Thomson, he surveyed and laid out the Racecourse at Randwick. He was acting Colonial Engineer and had to attend to harbour and river works and had the roads and bridges of the colony under his control in addition to the duties pertaining to the office of Colonial Architect. For some years past Mr. Lewis has led a strictly private life, surrounded by his children, grandchildren, and a large circle of friends to whom he had endeared himself by his many amiable qualities, and by whom his memory will be long revered.


 
Item: 162431
Surname: Lindeman (obit.,)
First Name: Dr. Henry John
Ship: -
Date: 3 June 1881
Place: Cawarra, Gresford
Source: SMH
Details: DR. LINDEMAN.Dr. Lindeman, of Cawarra, Gresford, died on the 26th May, in his seventieth year. The memory of the deceased will be cherished by many friends on personal grounds ; but it has also a special claim on public respect. Dr. Lindeman was one of the pioneers of our wine-making enterprise, and took a chief part in winning for the vintages of the Hunter valley a reputation extending beyond the boundaries of the colony, and indeed of Australia itself. As far back as 1867 his wines gained an award of merit from the judges at the Paris Exposition, an authority beyond dispute. But long before that he had, as a leading member of the Hunter River Vineyard Association, been one of a knot of enthusiastic vignerons whose determination it was to aim at the highest standard of purity and excellence rather than to seek immediate profit by pandering to corrupted tastes, and whose intercourse and emulation un- questionably led to good results. Of these, Mr. King, of Irrawang, Mr. Windeyer, of Kinross, Dr. Carmichael, of Porphyry, passed away some years ago.


 
Item: 183774
Surname: Lloyd (obit)
First Name: John
Ship: -
Date: 20 June 1902
Place: Dungog
Source: Dungog Chronicle
Details: Last morning a veteran pioneer of Dungog passed over to the great majority, in tbe person of Mr John Lloyd, for many years honorably es-teemed aa a resident of the northern rivers district. The death of Mr Lloyd was far from being unexpected, his life having, as a matter of fact, lingered in the balance that divides the known from tbe mighty unknown for several years. Of course hope struggled against hope in the affect- tions of his devoted family, but con- sidering that he outlined the span of life, being in his 84th year, his demise was only to be looked for, in the natural order of things. The late Mr Lloyd had been a resident of the Dungog district for over half a century, having come here from the Paterson River for the purpose of establishing a tobacco manufacturing business, which be conducted with considerable success, until the imposition of a heavy excise duty caused him to relinquish the venture, and seek for other avenues if investment. In Dungog he was very successful and enjoyed an excellent name for probity, straight forwardness, and honest dealing. Together with a few others, he was instrumental in estab- lishing the local School of Arts, and was a valued member of the committee of that institution for many years.


 
Item: 177585
Surname: Mackay (nee Hooke) (obit.,)
First Name: Mrs. Emily
Ship: -
Date: 16 May 1919
Place: Cangon, Dungog
Source: The Voice of the North
Details: Relict of the late J.K. Mackay and was born in the Dungog district. Said to be the first while child born in the locality.


 
Item: 183757
Surname: Mackie (obit.,)
First Name: James
Ship: -
Date: 13 August 1934
Place: Newcastle
Source: Sydney Morning Herald
Details: James Mackie, founder of the Newcastle furniture firm of J. Mackie and Co., Ltd., died on Friday at his home at Waratah. Mr. Mackie was born at Ballarat (Vic.) in 1853. He went to Sydney as a young man, and estab- lished his business in Newcastle in 1897. He led the movement for the earlier closing of retail shops in the Newcastle district. At a time when some shops were staying open till as late as 11 p.m. He adopted the 6 p.m. closing time for his own business about twelve months before the State Government brought early closing legislation into force. Mr. Mackie was a prominent Freemason and a keen bowler. Patron of the Newcastle District Bowling As- sociation and of the Muswellbrook Bowling Club, he was also president of the Waratah Bowling Club for some years. Mrs. Mackie, three sons, and eight daughters survive him. The funeral took place to Sandgate Cemetery yesterday.


 
Item: 161637
Surname: Madgwick (obit.,)
First Name: Rev. W.M
Ship: -
Date: 17 October 1931
Place: Bendigo
Source: SMH
Details: OBITUARY. REV. W. M. MADGWICK. The death has occurred of the Rev. W. M. Madgwick, formerly rector of Long Bay and Matraville, and chaplain to Long Bay Prison, at Bendigo, Victoria. Mr. Madgwick was a native of Glen William, near Dungog, and was a son of the principal of a Church school in Sydney. He was ordained by Bishop Langley when he was 58 years of age, and ministered in several parishes in Victoria before coming to Sydney. He returned to Bendigo eight years ago, and was appointed chap Iain to the local gaol, the hospital, and benevolent asylum, and held these offices at the time of his death. For 50 years he was a member of the Masonic Lodge, Holding office as Worshipful Master and grand chaplain, and for 50 years was associated with the Manchester Unity Oddfellows. He leaves a widow and five children-the Rev. E. C. Madgwick (rector of Pyrmont), Messrs. William and Reginald Madgwick, and Mesdames Drewett and Moore.


 
Item: 197038
Surname: Mantle (obit)
First Name: John
Ship: -
Date: 11 August 1924
Place: Singleton
Source: The Newcastle Sun
Details: Mr. John Mantle, senr, on of the oldest wool and skin, dealers in the State, died on Friday night, at his residence, John-street. Singleton, He was born in Sydney, and was 87 years of age. Sixty years ago he commenced work as a carrier of wool und skins, and four years later launched out on his own account, following the calling actively until 83 years of age. He was a resident of Singleton for 66 years. His wife predeceased him 14 years ago


 
Item: 183778
Surname: Marquet (obit)
First Name: Phillip
Ship: -
Date: 31 July 1937
Place: Dungog
Source: Newcastle Morning Herald
Details: Mr. Phillip Marquet, of Brookfield, a pioneer of the Dungog district, was buried in the Presbyterian section of Dungog Cemetery. The service at the graveside was conducted by Rev. J. W. McCredie. Mr. Marquet was born on the Allyn River, in the Gresford district, 82 years ago. Later, he and his family moved to Wollarobba. He was engaged in farming and grazing most of his life. His wife, who was formerly Miss Ann McInnes, of Large, died 13 years ago. Mr. Marquet is survived by six sons, two daughters, 32 grandchildren, and five great-grandchildren. Two of his brothers and two sisters are still alive. officiated at the graveside. . Mrs. A. E. Gresham, of Stratford, is a daughter


 
Item: 196976
Surname: Marsh (obit)
First Name: Frederick
Ship: -
Date: 20 November 1918
Place: Maitland
Source: Australian Town and Country Journal
Details: Mr. Frederick Marsh one of the oldest and best-known residents of the district; died at his residence, East Maitland . Road, on November 3. He was born in Hampshire, England, and was 76 years of age. When he arrived in this State with his parents he was only three years of age, and ever since then he has lived in Maitland. He had a vivid recollection of the early history of Maitland, and during his residence of almost three- quarters of a century, he saw great changes in the town. For over 40 years Mr.Marsh carried on business as a decorator and picture-framer, retiring from this about two years ago. He is survived by his widow and three daughters - Mrs. C. W. Genge, Misses Eva and Alma Marsh and he also leaves four grandchildren and one great-grandchild. One of his grandchildren, Lieut. R. M. Genge, is on active service. He leaves one brother, Mr. Edward Marsh, of Sydney, and two sisters Mrs Sharpley and Mrs. Noad, of Katoomba.


 
Item: 161754
Surname: Mason (obit.,)
First Name: J.J
Ship: -
Date: 3 July 1929
Place: Gosford
Source: SMH
Details: Obituary - MR. J. J. MASON. The death has occurred of Mr. J. J. Mason, an old resident of the Gosford district. Mr.Mason was born at London 81 years ago. For some years he was deputy shipping master at Newcastle, under Mr. Clarence Hannell. On his retirement he purchased a property in the Gosford district, where he resided for some 35 years. He was at one time Mayor of Gosford municipality. He is survived by his widow, four sons, and five daughters


 
Item: 189332
Surname: McAlpin (obit)
First Name: Peter
Ship: General Graham 1812
Date: 22 October 1898
Place: Singleton
Source: Windsor and Richmond Gazette
Details: A very old settler died at Singleton on September 23 in the person of Peter McAlpin aged 89 1/2 years, This hoary veteran and his brother, William McAlpin (18 months younger), who survives him, arrived in N.S.W. as children in 1812. Their people settled on the Hawkesbury, and are related to the Onus family. Peter remembered Muswellbrook in 1825, and saw some ife in the city of Melbourne in the 40s and 50s. There are few older colonists alive than William McAlpin, who resides at Bulga, near Singleton, and still actively attends to his farm.


 
Item: 184786
Surname: McDouall (obit)
First Name: John Crichton Stuart
Ship: -
Date: 31 January 1891
Place: New Freugh
Source: Singleton Argus
Details: The deceased gentleman who had reached the ripe age of 72 years and six months, was a son of the Rev. W. McDouall, one of the prebendaries of Peterborough Cathedral, and, it is stated, a first cousin to the late Marquis of Bute and Earl of Dumfries. Mr. McDouall arrived in the colony about the year 1841 and appears to have resided some little time at Stockton near Newcastle, which at that time was known as a lime burning place. After a few months there Mr. McDouall came to Singleton about 1844. From that time to the day of his death the deceased gentleman continued to reside at New Freugh a charming home some eight miles from Singleton and bearing traces in its surroundings of the home of an English country gentleman


 
Item: 184977
Surname: McFadyen (obit)
First Name: John
Ship: Brilliant 1838
Date: 19 July 1902
Place: Bolwarra
Source: The Sydney Mail
Details: The late John McFadyen was a native of Coll, Scotland. He left Scotland with his parents, sailing in the ship Brilliant and arrived in Sydney Harbour on January 26, 1838. He and his parents with many of the passengers left Sydney by steamer and landed in Morpeth. Some of the Highlanders went to Singleton where they were greatly impressed with the sight of a big windmill. They made an arrangement by which they obtained land for farming, but they found that they could do no good with it, so they nearly all made back to Maitland. John McFadyen with his parents settled on a rich flat named Bolwarra. In those days Bolwarra was a sense scrub, and it required men of a good stamp to face it and clear the land for farming. However McFadyen was a man of stamina who faced the task manfully and succeeded. He also withstood several heavy floods and was one of the foremost over 35 years ago to make embankments to stop the flood waters overcoming the flats. For many years he was a committee man of the H.R.A. and H. Association of which he was a member till the time of his death. He was also one of the principal movers in the establishment of the Farms Union in Maitland, which has proved so beneficial to the business of West Maitland. He also took a lively interest in the found of the West Maitland School of Arts, and also of the Largs School of Arts, being a trustee of the latter for a number of years.



<<  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next  >>