Free Settler or Felon

Search Result

Search


First Name



Surname / Subject



Ship








Search Results



<<  Previous  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  >>
 
Item: 200283
Surname: Moroney (obit)
First Name: Denis
Ship: 1851
Date: 2 August 1902
Place: Swan Street, Hamilton
Source: Freemans Journal
Details: THE PASSING OF NEWCASTLE PIONEERS THE LATE DENIS MORONEY. Early on Saturday morning, 19th July, writes our Newcastle correspondent), Mr. Denis Moroney, a very old resident of the district, died at the residence of his son, Alderman M. J Moroney, Swan-street. Hamilton. The deceased gentleman was well known in the Maitland, Cooranbong, and Newcastle districts during the past fifty years. Up to a very short time prior to his death he was hale and hearty,- and was wont to make frequent visits to Sydney and Maitland. About a fortnight ago. he contracted a cold, which eventuated in influenza, and he gradually sank. Throughout his illness he retained his mental faculties, and was able to recognize those who visited him on Friday night. Mr. Moroney was born in Cork (Ireland) on March 4, 1805, and was therefore in his ninety-eighth year at the time of his demise. He left Ireland towards the end of the year 1851, and arrived in Now South Wales in the beginning of the following year. After that he took up a farm at Newport, near Cooranbong, where he remained for about ten years, and was very successful. Leaving Newport he came to Newcastle, where, after a little while, he gave up business, and during the past fourteen or fifteen years he resided alternately with his sons, Messrs. Michael and John Moroney. In the year 1861 Mr. Moroney s wife died at Newport, and her remains were buried at Cooran bong. Twenty-six years afterwards the re mains were re-interred in the Sandgate cemetery The deceased gentleman leaves two sons, Alderman M. J . Moroney, of New castle, and Mr. John Moroney, of the Railway Department, two daughters, and a large number of grandchildren and two great-grandchildren The old gentleman was possessed of a remarkably retentive memory, and his life having covered such a great length of time, his store of information was most interesting. Ho was never so happy as when relating incidents which occurred in the early part of the last century.


 
Item: 173920
Surname: Moroney (obit.,)
First Name: Denis (Dennis)
Ship: -
Date: 21 July 1902
Place: Swan Street Hamilton
Source: NMH
Details: Early on Saturday morning Mr. Dennis Moroney a very old resident of the district died at the residence of his son. The deceased gentleman was well known in the Maitland, Cooranbong and Newcastle districts during the past fifty years. He was born in Cork Ireland on 4 March 1805 and was therefore in his ninety eight year. He left Ireland towards the end of the year 1851 and arrived in NSW in the beginning of the following year. He came out here with the intention of engagin in the farming industry and with his wife settled in West Maitland. He worked there for a little while while as a saddler after which having a knowledge of milling he entered into that business. After that he took up a farm at Newport near Cooranbong where he remained for about ten years and was very successfull. Leaving Newport he came to Newcastle where he resided alternatively with his sons Michael and John Moroney. In the year 1861 Mr. Moroneys wife died at Newport and her remains were buried at Cooranbong. 26 years afterwards the remains were re interred in the Sangate cemetery.


 
Item: 197044
Surname: Moss (obit)
First Name: Elizabeth
Ship: -
Date: 16 July 1927
Place: Singleton
Source: The Newcastle Sun
Details: Mrs, Elizabeth Moss, a resident of Singleton for more than half a century, died in the Dangar Cottage Hos-pital yesterday. Mrs. Moss, who was within a couple of months of 84 years, was admitted to the institution on May 8, with a broken thigh, as the result of a fall at her residence, Gas street. The late Mrs. Moss was born in Dublin, Ireland and came to New South Wales with her parents when two years of age, the family settling in the Maitland district. After the death of her husband, 54 years ago, she came to Singleton, and conducted the Terminus Hotel for about 20 years, retiring from business some 30 years ago. She is survived by one son, M. H. C. Moss, of Gas-street.


 
Item: 197046
Surname: Munro (obit)
First Name: Hugh
Ship: -
Date: 3 May 1906
Place: Singleton
Source: The Maitland Daily Mercury
Details: After a comparatively short, illness, the death occurred, this morning, of Mr. Hugh Munro, farrier, who has resided in the Singleton district, for the past 52 years. Deceased was born in 1827- in Ardessior. Inverness shire, Scotland. He left, homo for Yorkshire when 18 years of age and engaged with Messrs. Jackson and Bean, well-known railway contractors, for whom he acted as one of their officers in the Channel Islands, constructing breakwaters, and fortifications. In 1854 he landed in Australia and soon Settled down to prosecute his trade as a farrier in Singleton, and has since resided here. In 1873 he was elected an alderman of the Borough Council, a position he filled for 28 years, and for two years was Mayor. He always took an active part in every movement having for its object the welfare of the place of his adoption. Ho was a member of The Masonic and Oddfellows Lodges, having acted as financial secretary of the latter for forty years, besides having filled all the other offices of the Lodge. Deceased was well known as a genial and much respected citizen and as one who by hard work and perseverance helped largely to bring the place to a prosperous condition


 
Item: 196985
Surname: Nelligan (obit)
First Name: Mrs. William
Ship: -
Date: 16 August 1895
Place: Maitland
Source: The Albury Banner and Wodonga Express
Details: An old resident of Maitland, in the person of Mrs. William Nelligan, passed away to her rest. She had been ill for a long time, and the end was no doubt the result of senile decay. The deceased was the relict of Mr. William Nelligan, who died some few years back, and both of them were very old and highly-respected residents of the town. The deceased lady had long since passed the allotted span, as she was in her 77th year. She leaves two sons, one of whom is a school teacher in the suburbs of Sydney; and two daughters, both of whom are married.


 
Item: 196942
Surname: Nicoll (obit)
First Name: Thomas
Ship: -
Date: 17 May 1888
Place: Newcastle
Source: NMH
Details: ANOTHER old and respected resident of some twenty-eight years standing has passed over to the great majority, in the person of Mr. Thomas Nicoll, who expired at an early hour yesterday morning, at his residence, Stock ton, after an illness of about three weeks duration. Some seven months since Mr. Nicoll had a slight cerebral attack, from which, however, he soon rallied, and was apparently in good health until some three weeks since, when he was seized with illness, and his memory appeared to leave him altogether. He proceeded to Sydney, where he sought medical advice, and upon his return was compelled to take to his bed, which he never left again alive, as paralysis set in and he completely lost the use of his speech, which he never regained. Dr. Morgan was assiduous in his attendance upon the deceased, but it was seen that all the powers of human aid could not save him, as he gradually sank, and the vital spark vanished as above stated. Mr. Nicoll arrived here in 1860, in company with Mr. James Gillan and Pilot Melville, from Mel bourne, in a water boat, and ever since that period has resided at Stockton. The deceased in his youth followed the occupation of a ship-carpenter and ship-builder, but, in latter years, supplied the shipping of the port with water; and, at the time of his death, one of his water tanks, the Pearl, was still running in that service. As a ship-builder, Mr. Nicoll was well-known many years ago, he having constructed the schooner Lismore, which was wrecked on the Oyster Bank in 1866, the schooner Mary Webster, and several water boats, all of which have done good service. The deceased, the late Captain Manson, and Mr. J. Gillan, were, for a considerable period in partnership. In Newcastle and the district Mr. Nicoll was highly esteemed and respected for his genial disposition and generally good qualities, and his face will be sadly missed from among the many old Newcastle identities. He was at the time of his death, and had been for a period of over 20 years, an elder of the Hunter-street Presbyterian Church. The deceased was a native of Peterhead (Scotland), and had reached the age of 61 years. He leaves a widow and five children, the majority of whom are grown up, to mourn their sad loss. As soon as the death of Mr. Nicoll became known, the flags of all the vessels in harbour and at the merchant s offices were displayed at half-past, as a token of respect. The deceased s remains will be interred at Sandgate this afternoon, and the funeral will, no doubt, be largely attended by his relatives and acquaintances.


 
Item: 161634
Surname: Nowland (obit.,)
First Name: John James
Ship: -
Date: 10 April 1930
Place: -
Source: SMH
Details: OBITUARY - The death has occurred after a long illness of Mr. John James Nowland, a member of one of the oldest families In New South Wales, and one who played a prominent part in open- ing up the New England and north-west dis- tricts. His great-grandfather. Michael Now- land, came to Australia with Governor Gidley King, the two being personal friends, and was appointed superintendent of convicts. A son, Mr. William Nowland, took up country near Armidale, and later the family owned a sta- tion on Liverpool Plains and the greater portion of Warrah Ridge. Mr. William Now- land was the first man to drive a vehicle over the Liverpool Range, a feat of no mean achievement in view of the fact that a track had to be cut for a great part of the way. After disposing of his interest in Warrah Ridge, Mr. J. J. Nowland followed pastoral pursuits in Queensland until he was over- taken by the illness which led to his death. In 1883 he married Miss Emily Smith, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. W. A. Smith, of Dungog. Mrs. Nowland and four sons and three daughters survive.


 
Item: 174765
Surname: Nunn (obit.,)
First Name: Lieut-Col James Winniett (Major James Winniett)
Ship: -
Date: 2 February 1847
Place: Meerut
Source: Gentleman s Magazine
Details: Obituary - At Meerut, Lieut-Col James Winniett Nunn, of the 80th Foot. He entered the service as Ensign April 7 1804; was presented to a Lieutenancy 1805; to a Captaincy 1810; a brevet Majority 1830; and to a Lieut-Colonelcy 1844. He served with much distinction in Egypt, and was present at the capture of Genoa in 1814. His last services were with his regiment, the 80th Foot, during the Sutlej campaign.


 
Item: 197050
Surname: O Keefe (obit)
First Name: Patrick
Ship: -
Date: 28 March 1893
Place: Morpeth
Source: NMH
Details: On Sunday morning Mr. Patrick O Keefe, an old and well-known resident of Morpeth, passed away. The deceased, who had at attained the ripe age, of 74 years, was one of directors of the old Hunter River S.S. Company for a number of years, and took a deep interest in the affairs of the company. The flags of the Newcastle and Hunter River Company s steamers were flying at half-mast yesterday, as a token of respect for the deceased. The late Mr. O Keefe was a very old resident of Morpeth, where for a great many years he carried on a general. store keeper s business.


 
Item: 161633
Surname: O'Gorman (obit.,)
First Name: Monsignor
Ship: -
Date: 20 November 1935
Place: West Maitland
Source: SMH
Details: Monsignor O'Gorman, parish priest at East Maitland since 1909, died this morning. He was 81 years of age, and was born at Kilkenny (Ireland), ordained at Rome in 1884, and arrived in Maitland 51 years ago. Except for three years at Barcaldine, in Queens- land, all his priesthood had been served in Maitland diocese. He had been stationed at Dungog and Newcastle


 
Item: 183772
Surname: Osmond (obit)
First Name: George
Ship: -
Date: 23 February 1932
Place: From Dungog
Source: The Richmond River Herald
Details: Mr. George Osmond, 92, one of the pioneers of Dungog district, who died last week, had lived for 80 years in the Paterson and Dungog districts. His father worked on Tocal Station, when wages were 1 pound per week and a hut to live in and it was whilst at Tocal that the deceased first learnt to ride. He was taught by that great horseman Frederick Ward, better known as Thunderbolt. Ward was a good master and he a good pupil. The late Mr. Osmond was noted as an expert horseman. Furthermore he would never hear a word said against Ward, who he always maintained was a good man. Subsequently deceased went on the land and then purchased a bullock team and commenced carrying provisions from Morpeth to the Western and North western towns. He married Fanny, the daughter of Timothy Taylor of Cox s creek who died 25 years previously. His father, aged 102 died in 1915


 
Item: 197748
Surname: Parnell (obit)
First Name: Richard Peter
Ship: -
Date: 27 November 1923
Place: Curlewis
Source: The Newcastle Sun
Details: Death At Curlewis Richard Peter Parnell, aged 60, died at Curlewis, after only a few days illness. He leaves a widow, six daughters and five sons. Mr. Parnell was a son of the late James Virgo Parnell, one time owner of Wallabadah station. He owned several grazing properties in the Liverpool Plains district himself, and was well known in the north and north-west, having held the licence of the Royal Hotel, Curlewis, for many years. The burial took place in Gunnedah cemetery.


 
Item: 196947
Surname: Patey (obit)
First Name: James
Ship: -
Date: 31 January 1940
Place: Newcastle
Source: NMH
Details: Old Newcastle Builder Dies Mr. James Patey, one of Newcastle s oldest builders, died yesterday. Mr. Patey, who was 77, had been engaged in the building trade for about 50 years. Mr. Patey carried out renovations to a number of well-known Newcastle buildings, including Newcastle Cathedral and the Victoria Theatre. He had a joinery and shop fitting factory in Bolton-street at one time. Mr. Patey was a foundation member of the Master Builders Association, and later became its President. For many years Mr. Patey was an enthusiastic bowler, playing in both New castle City and Newcastle South bowling clubs. He was President. of the Newcastle City Club for one term. Mr. Patey is survived, by two sons (Messrs. Frank and J. R. Patey), and a daughter (Mrs. N. Leishman). . The funeral will leave Newcastle Cathedral this afternoon.


 
Item: 199877
Surname: Pattison (obit)
First Name: Captain Robert Lorn
Ship: -
Date: 20 October 1877
Place: Newcastle
Source: Australian Town and Country Journal
Details: Captain R. L. Pattison. LAST week a venerable pioneer of Australian coasting navigation, and a hero of humane daring, died at Newcastle. Robert Lorn Pattison was born on the 27th March, 1807, in the town of Prestonpans, famous for the victory of the Highlanders under Prince Charley over the English army. This town is about eleven miles from the city of Edinburgh His father was an attorney of considerable reputation. Robert, who was from the first of a strong constitution and high spirit, early shewed a liking for the sea, and entered the merchant service of his country. In the year 1837 he came to Sydney as boatswain of the ship Strathalyn, with Captain Griffin. He then traded in these waters; and found his way into the trade, which was but then commencing; between this port and Newcastle About the year 1840 a company was formed for the purpose of carrying on steam communication between the Hunter River and Sydney. This company was called the Hunter River Steam Navigation Company. Their first steamer, the Rose, was placed in charge of Mr. Pattison, who had in the meantime steadily advanced in his profession. The Rose was followed by two other steamers of the same company, the Thistle, and the Shamrock. On October 15, 1844, Captain Pattison, the commander of the Rose, was caught in a terrific gale from the S.S.W., which veered round to the S.E. For nearly two days he was buffeting the storm at sea, and was given up for lost. Being unprovided for any such detention at sea, he had to burn all the available wood-work of the ship for firewood. At last to the wonder and joy of his friends here turned in safety to Newcastle. He continued in this trade till 1849, when he married his first wife, Miss Jane Hill, at Sydney, and shortly afterwards sailed for San Francisco. There he remained in business as an innkeeper for nine months, but having been bereaved of his wife, he sold out, took the command of a small topsail schooner called the Tom Tough, and returned to Sydney making the wonderful passage of twenty-nine and a half days. The gold discovery was at that time attracting thousands from all other pursuits to mining; and Captain Pattison was one of the many who struck oil on the famed Bendigo. In 1853 he married his second wife, Miss Jane Bailey, and came to Newcastle again, There he opened the Caledonian Hotel. But his yearning for the sea prevented his settling on the dull tame shore ; and in nine months he sold out, and took command of Mr. Edye Manning s steamer the Iron Prince, engaged in the Newcastle coal trade. From the Iron Prince he soon changed to the lately arrived steamer Ben Bolt, placed in the Hunter River trade in opposition to the existing company; but this venture was a failure. The Ben Bolt was seized for debt, and Captain Pattison was a heavy loser. He lived in Sydney for a little while, and subsequently removed to Morpeth. And whilst he was at this place the Hunter River New Steam Navigation Company came into existence, and Captain Pattison was selected by the directors to take the charge of their pioneer steamer, the Paterson. He continued in charge of that vessel between Sydney and the Hunter River for three years, and then went into the steamer Dooribang, which - had just been brought out by Mr. Portus, and was employed in attending on the Government dredge at the port of Newcastle, This was Captain Pattison s last command. He left the Dooribang, after three months service. He then lived for some time in Sydney ; then in Maitland; and thence he removed to Newcastle, where he resided for the remainder of his life. He was for seven years custodian of the Newcastle Court-house, and after that clerk of the Newcastle markets. Whilst in the last-named capacity he, on the 16th June, 1875, met with a serious accident, in consequence of being knocked down by the engine of the A. A. Company, at the Darby-street crossing. He remained infirm in consequence of that accident to the day of his death. He died at the age of 70 years, on 10th of October. He left a widow and two grown-up sons.


 
Item: 197466
Surname: Peattie (obit)
First Name: Andrew
Ship: Hero of Malown 1841
Date: 5 May 1904
Place: Tickhole, Newcastle
Source: NMH
Details: By the death of the late Mr. Andrew Peattie, senr., of Tickhole, which occurred on Saturday, an old identity of the Newcastle district, and one of the pioneers was removed. Mr. Peattie was born at Couper, Fifeshire, Scotland, on the 18th January, 1823, and arrived in Newcastle by the sailing vessel, Hero of Malone, in November, 1841, after a five months passage. He was one of the twelve who comprised the second batch of free workmen for the A.A. Company, all of whom have since passed away, with the exception of Mr. William Miller, of Darby-street, Newcastle, who was a child at the time of arrival. Mr. Peattie at once engaged in mining pursuits at what was then known as Borehole Hill (now Hamilton), until June, 1862, when he took up a selection at Tickhole, being one of the pioneers of the Cardiff district. He then commenced work at the opening of the Lambton Colliery, and continued there until his retirement from coal mining 28 years ago. Since that date he has been engaged in farming and fruit growing, his orchard being of considerable extent and importance. He could recall many reminiscences of early days of Newcastle, though he did not take any active part in public matters. Newcastle was practically a village at the time of his arrival. In August 1842, Mr. Peattie married Miss Eliza Swain, (sister of Mr. Thomas Swain, senr., of Hamilton), who had arrived from home in the previous year. Mrs. Peattie still survives her husband, having attained the ripe age of 77 years. The marriage was celebrated by the late Rev. Innis, of the Presbyterian Church, who was stationed at Maitland, and visited Newcastle once in each month. The late Mr. Peattie, leaves six children, twenty- eight grandchildren and seventeen great- grand-children. Mr. Peattie at the time of his death was the oldest member of Union Lodge, M.U.I.O.O.F., having been initiated in 1846, and was therefore a member of 58 years standing. He celebrated his diamond wedding in August, 1902. Until the early sixties he was employed by the A.A .Co., and of his companions at that early period, Messrs. D. Murray, G. Simpson, McKane, and Richardson were present at the funeral. The Rev. J. Calvert officiated at the burial. An impressive service being held at the house, and the cemetery. The clergyman alluded to the work commenced by men of deceased s stamp in developing the country s resources, etc., and pointed out the necessity of the younger generation going on with the work.


 
Item: 164115
Surname: Pender (obit.,)
First Name: John Wiltshire
Ship: -
Date: 14 March 1917
Place: West Maitland
Source: SMH
Details: The death of Mr. J.W. Pender of West Maitland was announced a few days ago. A quarter of a century since, when the Plymouth Rock fowls were first favourites with fanciers, Mr. Pender was one of the leading breeders and exhibitors. Many high class specimens were imported by him from England and America, the progeny usually securing honours at the Sydney and Melbourne shows


 
Item: 197823
Surname: Phillips (nee Marks) (obit)
First Name: Mary Ann
Ship: -
Date: 18 October 1949
Place: Lake Macquarie
Source: NMH
Details: Death Of Lake Pioneer Mrs. Mary Ann Phillips, who died recently, was a member of a pioneering family of Lake Macquarie. Her home. Marksville, a prominent landmark of the district, is closely identified with the early history of Belmont. In 1825, an area of 10,000 acres, extending from Swansea Channel to a line drawn from Warner s Bay to Redhead, was set aside by the Government for the purpose of a mission to the aborigines. Although the mission failed, it was not until the Crown Lands Alienation Act, of 1861, was enacted, that the mission area was surveyed and sub-divided for private settlement. The surveyor was Mr. D. M. Maitland. The first application for land was made by Maurice Marks. In 1862, he was granted a conditional purchase area of 188 acres, to which he gave the name Marksville. On August 14, 1864, he married, at the residence of Rev. W. J. Dean, Church-street, Newcastle, a Cornish woman, Mary Jane Richards. His occupations included mining, fishing and fruit growing. The property was cleared of debt by his labours. Three brothers were induced by Maurice Marks to come from England and take their homes at Belmont. Charles and Henry settled at the place now known as Marks Point. Charles gave it this name, and it became famous for its production of oranges and tropical fruits. Henry acquired a conditional purchase to the north of Marksville. Maurice Marks died in 1924 and his wife in 1930. There were nine children of the marriage. They attended a private school conducted in a little building owned by the Primitive Methodists, until the first State school was opened in 1875. The first resident schoolteacher was Mr. J. Hayden. Still living at Rockdale, aged 94. Mr. Hayden received the news of the death of his oldest surviving pupil with great regret, and wrote: She was one of my pupils 65 years ago, and so firmly entwined herself around my heartstrings that her image as a child is still clear and bright in my memory. Mary Ann Marks, after the ex- ample of her father, was active in local community life in her early years. Amongst other things she was organist in the Methodist Church. She married Joseph Phillips, and went to live at East Maitland. After some 40 years, she came, on the death of her husband, to live at Marksville. In 1945, the Edu- cation Department resumed the property, which will soon be the site of a new high school, serving a large area. Surviving members of the original Marks family are-Mrs. Gray, of Adamstown, and Mr. C. Marks, of Merewether. Mrs. Phillips is survived by two daughters, Mrs. D. G. MacDougall, of Merewether, and Mrs. N. M. Clout, of Belmont; and three sons. John Phillips, Merewether, J. H. C. Phillips and Harold Phillips, both of Sydney. One son, Oswald, died before her. A stepson, Ernest Phillips, also lives in Sydney. The funeral was to the Church of England portion of East Maitland Cemetery.


 
Item: 196994
Surname: Pilcher (obit)
First Name: Eliza
Ship: 1830
Date: 2 Jun 1894
Place: Burwood
Source: Singleton Argus
Details: There has just passed away from our midst, at the ripe age of 91 years, one of the earliest residents of the colony. Mrs. Pilcher, who died on the 18th ult at the residence of her daughter Mrs. McIntyre, Burwood, was the widow of the late Mr. Henry Incledon Pilcher of Telarah, West Maitland. They came to the colony in 1830 and settled at West Maitland, where Mr. Pilcher practised as solicitor up to the time of his death in 1845. He was an accomplished scholar and able lawyer. Mrs. Pilcher was a lady of marked individuality. She was a firm friend, and the most devoted and unselfish of mothers. She was esteemed and respected by all who knew her, and especially by those who knew how, after being bereaved of her husband, she battled with the world among all the changes and vicissitudes of early colonial life and brought up her large family. Of her sons, the eldest, Mr. Henry I. Pilcher was manager of the Bank of Australasia, East Maitland for many years; Mr. G. de V. Pilcher, her second son is a solicitor practising at Orange. Her third son, the Rev. Francis Pilcher is rector of St. Clements Oxford, and her youngest son is the well known barrister Mr. C. E. Pilcher Q.C. She has left behind her four daughters – Mrs. Hungerford, wife of the Rev. S. Hungerford, Mrs. McIntyre, widow of Rv. A. McIntyre, Mrs. Sheridan, wife of H.A.B. Sheridan manager of a leading insurance company and Mrs. Logan, wife of Mr. R. Logan of Toryburn, Paterson. Another daughter who died at Newcastle in 1868 was the wife of the late Rev. G.C. Bode.


 
Item: 166543
Surname: Portus (obit.,)
First Name: John
Ship: -
Date: 19 June 1860
Place: Morpeth
Source: MM
Details: DEATH OF Mr. JOHN PORTUS. It would be difficult to name any person In our community whose loss would be more widely regretted and felt than Mr. Portus. Ever since we have known the district he has been one of Its most prominent men, for enterprise and ingenuity, united with prudent foresight. Such men as Mr. Portus invariably give a tone to society in their locality ; and it is not perhaps going too far to say, that the spirited enterprise for which the people of Morpeth have been long marked was largely due to the example and the encouragement of Mr. Portus. Very few of the greater enterprises undertaken In this district, such as the establishment of the two steam companies, have been started without being largely indebted to Mr. Portus for counsel and assistance, of a professional (engineering) character, freely rendered. The very complete milling facilities for which the Hunter district has long been distinguished, are also In great measure owing to Mr. Portus's enterprise in common with that of other gentle-men yet happily living amongst us. In another department of progress Mr. Portus has long materially helped the district. He was a remarkably ingenious mechanist and engineer, and his machine yard has supplied a great number of the improved farming implements, formerly scarce, but now rapidly increasing in use among our farmers. Latterly Mr. Portus's visit to Europe and the United States had enabled him to increase and vary this branch of his enterprise to an. extent that was only beginning to be appreciated. Mr. Portus's funeral, on Sunday afternoon, was attended by a very large number of persons ,thirty-two vehicles, a great number of horsemen, and very many on foot, following the hearse and mourning coaches to the cemetery, at Morpeth. We thought we observed a very marked gathering from all parts of the neighbourhood, many attending from great distances to pay the last sad honor to the memory of our fellow citizen...........


 
Item: 197000
Surname: Prentice (obit)
First Name: James D
Ship: -
Date: 17 May 1899
Place: Maitland
Source: NMH
Details: Mr. James D. Prentice, a well-known Maitland merchant, who has been ill since Wednesday last, died shortly after 12 o clock last night, Business worries, owing to the assignment of the estate of Wolfe, Prentice, and Co., caused nervous prostration from which he never rallied. The deceased, who was a church warden at St. Marys, was one of the most active and respected of Maitland s citizens, and took a leading part in every public movement. He leaves a widow, two sons, and four daughters.



<<  Previous  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  >>