Free Settler or Felon
Convict and Colonial History

Convict Ship Lord Lyndoch - 1833

Embarked: 330 men (one man re-landed)
Deaths: 4
Surgeon's Journal: Yes
Previous vessel: Buffalo arrived 5 October 1833
Next vessel: Royal Admiral arrived 26 October 1833
Master William Johnston
Surgeon David Watson
Prisoners and passengers of the Lord Lyndoch identified in the Hunter Valley

The Lord Lyndoch was built at Calcutta in 1825.[1]

Convicts were transported to New South Wales on the Lord Lyndoch in 1833 and in 1838 ; and to Van Diemen's Land in 1831, 1836 and 1840.

Convicts Embarked

David Watson kept a Medical Journal from 15 May to 11 November 1833 in which he recorded the number of male convicts received on board the Lord Lyndoch in May 1833 from various hulks

Justitia hulk at Woolwich, 100;
Retribution hulk at Chatham, 50;
Cumberland hulk at Chatham, 130 (total 280 men);
and from Euryalus hulk, 50 (lads).

According to the surgeon, the convicts received on board the Lord Lyndoch were generally stout healthy young men although several of them look pale and weakly from confinement.

Military Guard

The Guard consisted of the Head Quarters and Band of the 21st Regiment - Lieutenant-Colonel Leahy, Lieutenant C.W. Lamotte, Lieutenant A. Mundy and 33 rank and file of the 21st regiment, 5 women and 3 children.


The Lord Lyndoch departed Sheerness on 4th June 1833 and sailed via Rio de Janeiro.

The Voyage

The diseases most prevalent during the voyage were diarrhoea and catarrh. Erysipelas of the head and face was common chiefly when the weather was hot and rainy and the men confined below. Several of the cases were very severe, they all recovered, Hallowell excepted. According to the indents four prisoners died on the voyage out.
Convicts mentioned in the surgeon's Journal who died included
Mark Lukeman on 23 July;
Benjamin Hallowell 30 September;
Benjamin Skinner 17 October.

Port Jackson

The Lord Lyndoch arrived in Port Jackson on Friday 18th October 1833.

Convicts Mustered

The prisoners were mustered on board six days after arrival on 24th October 1833.

Departure From The Colony

The Lord Lyndoch departed Sydney for Madras via Hobart with a detachment of the 21st Scotch Fusiliers in December 1833. The Australian reported that the detachment embarked on Saturday morning 30th November. They were preceded by their piper, he was dressed in his best, in honour of the saint of Scotland, it being Saint Andrew's day; and animated his comrades by playing several national airs on the pibroch.

Notes and Links

1). David Watson was also employed as surgeon on the Lloyds in 1837

2). Charles Kilminster was executed after being found guilty of taking part in the Myall Creek Massacre in December 1838.

3). Convict ships bringing detachments of the 21st regiment (Royal Scotch Fusiliers) and Officer in command of the Guard....

Mary departed London 4 September 1832 - Captain Daniels 21st regt.,

Roslin Castle departed Cork 8 October 1832 - Lieuts. Bayleyand Pieter L. Campbell. 21st

Andromeda departed Portsmouth 17 November 1832 - Lieuts. Lonsdale and Armstrong 21st regt.,

Mangles departed London 14 December 1832 London

Asia departed the Downs 21 February 1833 - Lieuts. Kelly and Wilson of 6th regt.,

Lord Lyndoch departed Sheerness June 1833 - Lieut-Col. Leahy. Headquarters of 21st

Royal Admiral departed Dublin 4 June 1833 - Lieut. Ainslie 21st regt.,

Aurora departed Portsmouth 4 July 1833 Major Delisle 4th regt.,

Java departed Cork 24 July 1833 - Lieut. Wrixon, 21st regt.,

Neva departed Plymouth 29 July 1833 - Lieut. McEdwin 1st or Queens Own regt.,

Lloyds departed the Downs 25 August 1833 - Lieut. McKnight 21st regt.,

Fairlie departed England 27 October 1833

Bengal Merchant departed 28 March 1 departed 28 March 1838 - Lieut. Dear of 21st regt.,


[1] Bateson, Charles, Library of Australian History (1983). The convict ships, 1787-1868 (Australian ed). Library of Australian History, Sydney : pp.352-353, 388.

[2] UK, Royal Navy Medical Journals, 1817-1857. Medical Journal of David Watson on the voyage of the Lord Lyndoch in 1833. The National Archives. Kew, Richmond, Surrey.