The Union Inn was a cottage style building situated on the corner of Hunter and Bolton Streets, Newcastle.
John Butler Hewson
Former constable John Butler Hewson
who arrived on the Mangles
in 1820 was granted a licence for the Union Inn in 1835. He advertised good stabling and a selection of wine and spirits.
, a former soldier of the 28th regiment was employed as chief constable at Newcastle in 1839. He took over the licence of the Union Inn in 1840 - 1841.
Robert Tighe was involved in the Friendly Society and the Union Inn was the venue for the establishment of the first Friendly Society in the area in May 1842.
Robert Tighe died in March 1844 leaving a large family. At his funeral members of the Odd Fellow's Society followed the procession to the cemetery. He was held in very high respect by all classes in the town according to the Maitland Mercury.
In 1845 the licence for the Inn was transferred by Robert's widow Sarah Tighe to William Latham
By 1846 William Latham was in financial difficulty.
James Hannell moved the licence for the Ship Inn
to the Union Inn on the corner of Hunter and Bolton in December 1846.
Premises Offered for Sale
In May 1847 the premises of the Union Inn as well as the Crown Inn
at Anvill Creek were advertised for sale by Helenus Scott
along with several other properties.
The Old Union Inn
The old building of the original Union Inn on the corner of Hunter and Bolton Streets was demolished and a new two story building was erected and named the The Prince of Wales. Lewis Jones was the innkeeper of the Prince of Wales from the mid 1850s until 1870. Some years later the building was occupied by the Bank of New Zealand the then passed into the hands of the Commercial Banking Company of Sydney.
Licence transferred to New Inn
In 1856 the licence for the Union Inn was transferred by John Butler Hewson to a new Inn in Blane (Hunter) Street Newcastle. This was built on land purchased in 1853 from the Australian Agricultural Company
which became known as Honeysuckle point.
A public meeting was held at Mr. Hewson's Inn at Honeysuckle Point in February 1856 to elect a representative for the Northumberland and Hunter districts.
Later Mackie's furniture store was built on the site. John Butler Hewson was granted a publican's licence until at least 1857.
Notes and Links
John Butler Hewson took over the licence for the Rose and Crown in Sydney in June 1841 and in 1846 moved to the Woolpack Inn
on the corner of Hunter and Bolton streets Newcastle
Sarah Tighe, wife of Robert formerly of the Union Inn, died 15 January 1858 and was buried in Christ Church Burial ground, Newcastle
3). Photograph of Mackie's Furniture Store
 Ancestry.com. New South Wales, Australia, Certificates for Publicans' Licences, 1830-1849, 1853-1860
 The Empire 27 February 1856
 Maitland Mercury 12 December 1846
 Maitland Mercury 29 May 1847
 Maitland Mercury 2 March 1844
 Maitland Mercury 28 June 1845
 Maitland Mercury 9 March 1844