Marriage of James Coulson of East Maitland and Miss Sarah Gulliver of Morpeth on Monday 27th November 1856. Minister Rev. W. Clarke
Glory be 1845-1945, commemorating the 100th anniversary of the opening of the first Wesleyan Chapel in Newcastle
A movement was started for the creation of a separate circuit, and Rev. W. Curnow (afterwards Editor of The Sydney Morning Herald), who had just arrived from England, was sent to Newcastle. The first minister to reside in Newcastle, he was stationed here for four or five months and under his direction the church made rapid progress. He was succeeded by Rev. J. G. Millard, who remained for 12 months. The first minister appointed by the Conference to the newly-formed Newcastle circuit was a single man, Rev. W. Clarke. He soon became popular, and was the first to establish services at the Glebe. A miners hut was given for services by Mr. J. Nott, who was carrying on mining operations at the tunnels. There were many Welsh families at Glebe, and to meet the requirements of his people Rev. Clarke used first to preach in English and then conduct service in Welsh. Services were regularly held at Waratah and occasionally at Dempsey Island. Returns the first year of the Newcastle circuit were : Members 43, teachers 19, Sabbath schools 2, scholars 146, no local preachers
Series - Methodist Ministers. Camden Theological Library
Rev William Clarke commenced his ministry in England in 1854 and was posted to Newcastle in 1856. Thereafter he served widely in NSW, including: Dungog, Parramatta, Camden, Orange, Mudgee, Glebe, Stanmore and Newtown in 1896. He was elected President of NSW/QLD Conference in 1877 and 1890.