George Poulton was granted a new publican's license for The Cross Keys Inn situated in High Street, West Maitland in April 1844. As well as holding the publican's license he also occasionally worked as a farrier.
William Winter who had previously held a publican's licence for the Settler's Arms was granted a publicans license for the Cross Keys Inn in 1846
In 1846 William Winter charged two men John Burke and Charles Creese with passing a counterfeit half crown at his hotel. They had given the coin to Winter's wife Elizabeth however William Winter being an experienced publican, immediately recognized it as bad and he took them into charge with the assistances of a ticket of leave holder Henry Collins who was nearby.
In July 1848 Edmund Wright took over the Cross Keys Inn. He had previously been innkeeper at the Spread Eagle Inn at Rutherford and had also purchased premises known as the London Warehouse in Maitland in June 1846 for £580.
The licence was transferred from Edmund Wright to George Lonsdale in March 1850.
Oliver Hackett was granted a publican's licence in 1855.
John and Mary Richardson
Long-time Maitland resident John Richardson held the license for the Cross Keys in May 1870 when he passed away after suffering an epileptic fit. His wife Mary was granted a license afterwards