The Daily Telegraph (Sydney, NSW : 1883 - 1930) Wed 7 Mar 1923
Mrs. Lewis Wood, whose death has occurred at Newcastle, was 96 years of age. She was the widow of Mr. Lewis Wood, who lost his life through burning Injuries in a big bonfire on Obelisk Hill, over 50 years ago. The occasion was a demonstration at night time, to celebrate the abolition of the tonnage dues at the port of Newcastle. When Mr. and Mrs. Wood settled in Newcastle, in 1856 the present city was a primitive village, with no municipality nearer than Sydney. The first section of the Great Northern Railway was in course of construction, having been started at Honey suckle Point a few years previously. Mrs. Wood was the oldest member of the Brown Street (Newcastle) Congregational Church. Recently she made a gift of a block of land to the trustees of the church. During the visit of the Prince of Wales to Newcastle, in June, 1920, Mrs. Wood was presented as one who was present at the coronation of Queen Victoria. The late Mrs. Wood leaves two daughters — Mrs. J. S. Ash. of Newcastle, and Mrs. J. B. Laing. of Mosman — and three sons — Mrs. Richard L. Wood. East Maitland; Alfred N. Wood, Rockdale; and John 32. Wood, Tramway Department, Newcastle. Twenty-six grand children and 14 great-grandchildren also survive her.
Captain Henry Zouch, superintendent of police for the southern district, and deputy inspector-general of police, died on Sunday evening, October 28. Captain Zouch was in the seventy third year of his age, and his residence in this colony covers a long period of its history. He was son of Colonel Zouch, commander of a British regiment during the American war of 1812-14. Colonel Zouch was for some time commandant at Quebec in Canada, and it was there that the subject of this notice was born. When a young man he went to England, and was educated in the military college at Sandhurst. In 1826 he obtained a commission as ensign in the Fourth of King's Own Regiment, and after serving in several garrison towns in England he came out with a detachment of his regiment in 1834. - a time when the convict ships were guarded hither by detachments of troops. The head quarters of the regiment were then in Sydney and Mr. Zouch held the rank of lieutenant. Shortly after his arrival in the year he was appointed to the first division of the military mounted police stationed at Bathurst. There were then three divisions, one at Bathurst, one at Goulburn and one at Maitland. About this time Lieutenant Zouch was despatched to the Bogan in search of Mr. Cunningham, who had lost himself from Sir Thomas Mitchell's party while on a botanizing expedition. He succeeded in finding the remains of Mr. Cunningham, the tablet to whose memory in the Botanic Gardens Sydney will be familiar to many colonists. On the Fourth regiment leaving for India, Lieut. Zouch sold out, and was for a considerable time out of the public service, being engaged in pastoral pursuits at Ashby near Bungendore, which property he sold some years ago. On the discovery of gold at Ophir, and the consequent rush of population to that neighbourhood he received an appointment as gold commissioner at the Turon, where he remained until 1853. He was then appointed superintendent of the mounted patrol for the western roads, which post he held but a short time, being transferred to the position of superintendent of the mounted patrol for the southern roads. This position he held until the mounted patrol was amalgamated with the general police under the Police Act of 1862. At that time Lieut. Zouch or as he has long been universally known, Captain Zouch was apppointed superintendent of police for the southern district which position he held up to the time of his death. He was the oldest of the superintendents and was some time ago appointed deputy inspector-general of police. As such he several times, during the absence of Mr. Fosbury fulfilled the duties of inspector-general