Search Result
162253
Surname: Lewis (obit.,)
First Name: Mortimer William senior
Ship: -
Date: 27 March 1879
Place: -
Source: SMH
Details: Obituary - Mr. M.W. Lewis, The late Mr. Mortimer William Lewis, whose death we recorded in a recent issue, commenced his professional life at an early age. On the 19th November 1811 he was appointed by the Master General of Ordnance to the position of cadet surveyor and draftsman, and after a course of instruction extending over three years in mathematics, military surveying and plan drawing, fortification, and the construction of buildings bridges etc. he passed a satisfactory examination before a Board of officers. Soon afterwards he was appointed to the corps of Royal Military Surveyors and Draftsmen. Not long afterwards a surveyor and draftsman being required at the office of the Inspector General of Fortifications , Head Quarters, he was selected, though a junior, as a fit and proper person for the duties of the position, which were important and partly confidential, consisting principally of taking charge of the plans and correspondence relating thereto, as received from all parts of the world where Engineer officers were stationed. He had to make copies of the most important plans and documents, in order to make himself thoroughly acquainted with their substance, so that he might be able to explain instantly any question relative to the different subjects as the Inspector General might require the information. He remained in this position more than seven years, giving entire satisfaction to his superior officers and acquiring that experience and general information in his profession which proved so valuable to him afterwards. His health, however, suffered so much from the close confinement and hard work that he deemed it advisable to retire for a time upon half pay, and for the succeeding eight years he was occupied in private surveying and building. Whilst thus engaged he received intimation from Colonel Wedderburn, secretary to Sir George Murray, that if he would accept an appointment as a surveyor in New South Wales the situation was at his service. After a few days consideration, and wishing for a change of scene, he obtained leave from the Ordnance department, and accepted the appointment, arriving in the colony in March 1830. Under the orders of the Surveyor General Sir Thomas Mitchell, he proceeded at once into the interior to survey the main dividing range between the eastern and western watershed. He was engaged in this work for upwards of two years, and obtained the express approval of the Surveyor General for the manner in which he performed his work. Sir Richard Bourke having heard of his former employment in the Ordnance Department appointed Mr. Lewis as the first Town Survey for Sydney, and afterwards made him Colonial Architect. His efforts in this position earned him the express approval of Sir Richard Bourke, Sir George Gipps, Sir Charles Fitzroy, and the then Colonial Secretaries. Among the public buildings erected by him may be mentioned the Court House and goal, Darlinghurst, The Colonial Treasury, Custom House and Government House, Sydney. He also designed the Court houses and gaols at Newcastle, Maitland, Muswellbrook, Parramatta, Berrima etc and also the Lunatic Asylum, Gladesville and several churches and private buildings. He also carried out the alteration of the old building in Macquarie Street into the first Parliament House and the conversion of the old Military Hospital into the first National School. With the Hon. Sir E. Deas Thomson, he surveyed and laid out the Racecourse at Randwick. He was acting Colonial Engineer and had to attend to harbour and river works and had the roads and bridges of the colony under his control in addition to the duties pertaining to the office of Colonial Architect. For some years past Mr. Lewis has led a strictly private life, surrounded by his children, grandchildren, and a large circle of friends to whom he had endeared himself by his many amiable qualities, and by whom his memory will be long revered.
202678
Surname: Liddell (obit)
First Name: Margaret
Ship: -
Date: 12 January 1871
Place: Maitland
Source: Newcastle Chronicle
Details: Wife of Dr. Andrew Liddell. Had as vigorous and able a mind as she looked strong in body; and for the last 28 years she had been the head of the chief scholastic institution for ladies on the Hunter
207116
Surname: Light (obit)
First Name: Morris
Ship: -
Date: 26 July 1929
Place: Newcastle
Source: The Newcastle Sun
Details: Alderman M. Light, the oldest member of Newcastle Council, and former mayor, died of pneumonia at 7.10 a.m. to-day. He was 74 years of age. Alderman Light had been ill for several weeks. In Newcastle the news was received with deep regret. Alderman Light was regarded as one of the strongest aldermen the city had ever had, and one of its finest citizens. It was considered a great pity that he should not have lived long enough to see the new civic block, which he so ably promoted, brought to actual fruition, and Newcastle s Town Hall opened. Alderman Light will be buried on Sunday in the Jewish portion of the Sandgate cemetery. Rabbi Morris will officiate. The funeral will leave his family s residence, Ocean-street, Merewether, at 1.30 p.m. Besides being the oldest member of Newcastle Council, Alderman Light had the unique distinction of being an alderman of both Newcastle and Carrington Councils at the one time, and he had a successful, self-made business career. He was born in Poland of Jewish parentage, but the greater part of his life was spent in Scotland and Australia. From 1879 to 1884 he was in business in Glasgow. From there he came to Australia, arriving in Sydney with £200. From Sydney he went to Mittagong, and later to Moss Vale. At both places he conducted stores. He came to Newcastle from Moss Vale in 1886, when he opened a store in Carrington. In 1888 he was elected to the Carrington Council. He was twice mayor, in 1902 and 1903, and was instrumental in having the streets of Carrington lit with electricity. Business Success In 1900 he started business in Hunter-street West as a general draper, and in 1902, he contested the Macquarie Ward for Newcastle Council, and was elected by a majority of eight votes over the late Mr John Thorn. From this date till December, 1907, he was a member of both the Carrington and Newcastle councils. Only for one short period was his record of service on Newcastle Council broken since that date. He was defeated in July, 1917; but was re-elected, unopposed, on October 17, 1919, in place of Alderman H. A. Quinlan, who resigned that month. He was elected Mayor of Newcastle on December 10, 1924, holding office till December 10, 1925, during which time he promoted the Town Hall and Theatre scheme, which is now almost brought to fruition. This he himself regarded as his greatest civic achievement. It is said that had it not been for his pertinacity the civic block might never have been actualised. Aldermen and other public men throughout the district praise him for his work in this connection. Alderman Light never lost an opportunity of boosting the west end of the city. He had great hopes of seeing a modern railway station there. It was looked upon as of comparatively small importance when he first opened a business there. Now it is a thriving and continually progressing business centre. Alderman Light s own business thrived there, and new premises were opened recently, and a branch was opened in Cessnock more recently. Alderman Light used to say: My one hobby is municipal work. I am never happier than when working out some scheme to improve the city. My money was made here and I have, as far as I could, spent it to the benefit of the city. In addition to his other civic duties, Alderman Light played a very active part in building up the municipal metal quarry. He was the first chairman of the Quarry Board, and has been continuously a member of the board since its inception. Much of the success of that venture is attributed to his leadership and advice. In 1923 Alderman Light went to England for a trip, and in 1927 to South Africa, learning much on both occasions, which he afterwards placed at the disposal of the council.
203401
Surname: Lillyman (obit)
First Name: Henry
Ship: -
Date: 8 March 1906
Place: Tamworth
Source: NMH
Details: Mr. Henry Lillyman, a well known hotel keeper died suddenly at Tamworth yesterday morning. Deceased, who was a native of England, was 59 years of age, but came to this State when a youth. For a number of years he was licensee of the Bank Hotel, Dungog, and later was proprietor of the Belmore Hotel. He leaves a widow, two sons and five daughters, including Mrs. Charles Park of East Maitland and Mrs. E. S. Cameron of West Maitland. Deceased was held in esteem by a large circle of friends
162431
Surname: Lindeman (obit.,)
First Name: Dr. Henry John
Ship: -
Date: 3 June 1881
Place: Cawarra, Gresford
Source: SMH
Details: Dr. Lindeman, of Cawarra, Gresford, died on the 26th May, in his seventieth year. The memory of the deceased will be cherished by many friends on personal grounds ; but it has also a special claim on public respect. Dr. Lindeman was one of the pioneers of our wine-making enterprise, and took a chief part in winning for the vintages of the Hunter valley a reputation extending beyond the boundaries of the colony, and indeed of Australia itself. As far back as 1867 his wines gained an award of merit from the judges at the Paris Exposition, an authority beyond dispute. But long before that he had, as a leading member of the Hunter River Vineyard Association, been one of a knot of enthusiastic vignerons whose determination it was to aim at the highest standard of purity and excellence rather than to seek immediate profit by pandering to corrupted tastes, and whose intercourse and emulation un- questionably led to good results. Of these, Mr. King, of Irrawang, Mr. Windeyer, of Kinross, Dr. Carmichael, of Porphyry, passed away some years ago.
212420
Surname: Little (obit)
First Name: Miss Caroline Mary
Ship: -
Date: 19 August 1913
Place: Scone
Source: The Scone Advocate
Details: The death is reported in the city papers, of Miss Caroline Mary Little, second daughter of the late Dr. Little, of Cressfield, Scone, at the age of 87 years. The death of this lady will revive old memories among old residents of the early days of Scone
201299
Surname: Livermore (obit)
First Name: James Benjamin
Ship: -
Date: 30 December 1933
Place: Newcastle
Source: NMH
Details: Newcastle Pioneer s Death Mr. J. Livermore, whose death was announced yesterday, had spent the whole of his life in Newcastle. He was born in Bolton-street, not far from the present offices of the Newcastle Morning Herald on January 31, 1855. He engaged in carrying. and during the 50 years that he was so occupied, built up a big district connection. One of his first contracts was with Messrs. J. and A. Brown. colliery and ship own era, which he carried on for 10 years. He carried the first load of flour from the Queen s Wharf to Arnott s biscuit factory, and used to relate that Melville (now Union) street was a sandy road. over which three horses were required to pull a vehicle with, a one-ton load. On the occasion of the wreck of the steamer City of Newcastle, he received 2/6 from each of the passengers for carrying their personal effects, which were secured from, the vessel, from the scene of the disaster to the railway station. There was a good deal of excitement on that occasion. Another carrier (Mr. Alexander) added to this when the horse he was driving, lost its winkers. The animal bolted and went over the cliff, killing itself and causing the destruction of the vehicle. Mr. Livermore also witnessed the wreck of the steamer Cawarra, inside Newcastle Heads. and was present at the funeral, when about 40 bodies were interred in the Newcastle cemetery under inexpressibly sad circumstances. Mr. Livermore after his marriage at Branxton. lived for 37 years at Cooks Hill. After his retirement from business he settled at Speers Point.
183774
Surname: Lloyd (obit)
First Name: John
Ship: -
Date: 20 June 1902
Place: Dungog
Source: Dungog Chronicle
Details: Last morning a veteran pioneer of Dungog passed over to the great majority, in tbe person of Mr John Lloyd, for many years honorably es-teemed aa a resident of the northern rivers district. The death of Mr Lloyd was far from being unexpected, his life having, as a matter of fact, lingered in the balance that divides the known from tbe mighty unknown for several years. Of course hope struggled against hope in the affect- tions of his devoted family, but con- sidering that he outlined the span of life, being in his 84th year, his demise was only to be looked for, in the natural order of things. The late Mr Lloyd had been a resident of the Dungog district for over half a century, having come here from the Paterson River for the purpose of establishing a tobacco manufacturing business, which be conducted with considerable success, until the imposition of a heavy excise duty caused him to relinquish the venture, and seek for other avenues if investment. In Dungog he was very successful and enjoyed an excellent name for probity, straight forwardness, and honest dealing. Together with a few others, he was instrumental in estab- lishing the local School of Arts, and was a valued member of the committee of that institution for many years.
202342
Surname: Logan (obit)
First Name: William R
Ship: -
Date: 15 February 1919
Place: Sydney
Source: NMH
Details: Mr. William R. Logan, a former resident of Newcastle, died at his late residence, Mosman, Sydney. Mr. Logan, who was in his 89th year, had been ailing for some time, and his death was not unexpected. For 27 years he filled the position of Sub-collector of Customs at Newcastle, and while thus acting he saw the port make maked advancement. Mr. Logan, during his residence in Newcastle, took a keen and active initerest in all public matters, and for many years was a member of the committee of the Newcastle hospital. He laboured hard for the institution and also gave a lot of time to church matters
211037
Surname: Lott (obit)
First Name: George John Henry
Ship: 1853
Date: 12 September 1923
Place: Carrington
Source: The Newcastle Sun
Details: The death of Alderman George John Henry Lott, of Denison-street, Carrington. which took place early yesterday morning in the Newcastle Hospital, removes on old resident of nearly 60 years standing, who was held in high esteem in the Newcastle district. He was in his usual health till Monday of last week, and on Friday medical aid was obtained. On Saturday afternoon it was considered advisable to have him conveyed to the hospital, and at night on operation was performed. Deceased was born in London on August 6, 1849, and was brought to Australia by his parents, when but four, years, old. His father was captain of a number or sailing ships, and the family resided in Melbourne. Later Captain Lott became pilot master at Newcastle. Deceased was associated in his early days with the old naval brigade under Commander Gardner, and was also an enthusiastic and energetic member of the life-boat crew. During this period he took a leading part in many competitions with the gun crew and was successful as captain on various occasions in Newcastle, Maitland, and Sydney districts- He entered the railway service as carpenter in the Honeysuckle permanent-way workshops when the late Mr. Bewick was divisional engineer and Mr. Morison was inspector. He was foreman carpenter prior to his retirement several years ago after 31 years service. He took a prominent part with the progress committee in looking after the affairs of Carrington In those early days, when it was practically a swamp, and there was no proper road formation, and agitation led to it being formed into a. municipality. IN THE PUBLIC EYE His first term as alderman was from 1906 to 1909, and he was again elected to the council in 1917 and was Mayor in 1919. During his term as Mayor he and the Mayoress (nee Miss Cox), a member or a well-known family at Oakhampton, had a strenuous term, welcoming home returned soldiers, and also during the pneumonic influenza epidemic. Mr. Lott was also an energetic member of the Carrington School of Arts and took an interest in the cricket and football clubs. He was associated for about 50 years with the Manchester Unity Order of Oddfellows, and was interested also in St. Thomas s Church of England. He was president of the Retired Servants Association of the railway service and was a great battler for better conditions for the employees, especially in regard to superannuation. He was 74 years of age and is survived by a widow, four sons (Messrs. James, Newcastle; Ormond, Sydney; Ted, Bankstown; and Walter, Carrington), and six daughters (Mrs. A. Winterbine; Wyee;. Mrs. S. Kircaldy, Carrington; Mrs. G. Davis, Sydney; Mrs. M. F. Anderson, Sydney; Mrs. T. Moate, Sydney; and Mrs. W. Moate. Sydney). There are 30 grandchildren and eight great-grandchildren. The funeral took place this after noon to the Church of England portion of Sandgate Cemetery.
209667
Surname: Lovell (obit)
First Name: John
Ship: -
Date: 14 September 1907
Place: Wallsend
Source: The Methodist
Details: During the last forty-four years the name of John Lovell has been connected with the Methodism of Wallsend, and he has just passed away at the ripe old age of 85. When only 8 years of age he played the clarinet in the Wesleyan Church of his native place, Kingswood, England, and from that time for the space of 65 years he continued to serve the church of his choice with his great musical gifts. His parents were staunch Methodists and his grandfather was a local preacher of some reputation in the early days of Methodism. Removing to Wallsend (sic) Wales he found his wife in the daughter of an esteemed local preacher of the Principality Mr. John Peters. In 1853 the young couple went, to South Australia and settled at the Burra Copper Mines, where they became connected with the Bible Christians. The gold fever led them to try their fortune at the diggings, but towards the end of 1855 they came to Newcastle in this State, and attached themselves to the Old Wesleyan Methodist Church in Bolton Street. Here Mr. Lovell became a member of the choir, and only left it when he removed in 1863 to Wallsend, where he then resided to the end of his days. He was made a trustee of the Church and took great interest in its welfare, but did not become a member until 1873, when he joined the class and was most faithful and exemplary in his attendance on this means of grace which he evidently much enjoyed. He was also most regular in his attendance at the ordinary Church services, allowing nothing but illness; to keep him away. He suffered greatly from asthma during the last twelve years of his life, and though at times life was almost a burden to him, he never lost his faith or his cheerful buoyancy which won for him the esteem of all who knew him, and the love of little children. During the last few months of his life it was a great pleasure to visit and hear him speak so enthusiastically of the goodness and love of God, and during his last illness he frequently burst into songs of praise, and a few hours before his death he sang, Jesu Lover of my Soul, and For ever with the Lord. Mrs Lovell was a loyal and loving wife, wholly, devoted to the interests of her family and her husband. They were always together, and Mrs. Lovell seemed to wither away after the decease of her husband, so that just a month later she also fell on sleep, when about 83 years of age. They were lovely in their lives and were not separated far in death. The memorial sermon for both was conducted by the Rev. William Stewart in the Wallsend Church on Sunday, the 11th of August, when all the children who are grown up and married, were present. Wallsend and its Methodist Church are the poorer for the passing of John Lovell and his devoted partner, rare types of Old Methodism, we can ill afford to part with in these days of roving religious tendencies.
202122
Surname: Lyall (obit)
First Name: James
Ship: -
Date: 22 February 1868
Place: Newcastle
Source: Newcastle Chronicle
Details: Mr. James Lyall, who, for nine years was foreman to Mr. David Ross, contractor, and was engaged in all the large contracts undertaken by the gentleman. Mr. Lyall died in the Sydney Infirmary and the immediate cause of death was paralysis, through constant exposure to all weathers
201519
Surname: Macara (obit)
First Name: James
Ship: -
Date: 12 March 1912
Place: Surry Hills
Source: NMH
Details: The late Mr. James Macara, who died at his home 15 Tudor-street, Surrey Hills, Sydney on the 5th instant, was for many years a residence of the Newcastle district. Mr. Macara, who was a stepbrother of Mr. Colin Christie, arrived at Newcastle from Scotland, in 1849, the whole family coming out at that time. For a few months he worked on Mr. Busbys station at Cassilis. Then he returned to Newcastle, where his mother had established a Presbyterian school under the denominational system then existing. He had received early education in Scotland, and he was sent to Sydney to undergo training for about six months, in order to fit himself to take full charge of the school, which he did in 1850. He continued to conduct the denominational school until the system of State school education superseded it. He then took up work under the Department of Education and continued in that service until he retired under superannuation. The greater part of Mr. Macara s life work was carried out in Newcastle and several thousands of pupils passed under his care and instruction. Amongst them were Mr. James Hogue, late Minister for Education; Mr. T. Miller, chief clerk in the office of the district superintendent of railways, Newcastle; and Mr. D. Miller of Newcastle. Mr. Macara never took prominent part in public affairs but devoted himself almost entirely to the profession he loved so well. He had a natural gift for teaching and achieved excellent results in the schools which he conducted. Mr. Macara who was 80 years of age is survived by his widow and by a large family. Nearly all the members of his family are connected with the Department of Education
177585
Surname: Mackay (nee Hooke) (obit.,)
First Name: Mrs. Emily
Ship: -
Date: 16 May 1919
Place: Cangon, Dungog
Source: The Voice of the North
Details: Relict of the late J.K. Mackay and was born in the Dungog district. Said to be the first while child born in the locality.
207759
Surname: Mackenzie (obit)
First Name: Dr. Walter Fawkes
Ship: -
Date: 16 October 1886
Place: Sydney
Source: Evening News
Details: Doctor Walter Fawkes Mackenzie, chief medical officer of the Australian Mutual Provident Society and medical examiner to the Board of Education, died in his residence on Thursday after a short illness. He was a member of the Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh, and of London. The deceased gentleman commenced his career early in the decade 1860 to 1870 in West Maitland, and afterward removed to Wallerawang, which place he left for Sydney. Dr. Mackenzie was one of our best known metropolitan practitioners, and was highly respected. His practice was chiefly with families, and his handsomely appointed brougham was a familiar, object in the fashionable thoroughfares in and about Sydney. He was brother to the examiner of coal fields. He leaves a widow and five children
183757
Surname: Mackie (obit.,)
First Name: James
Ship: -
Date: 13 August 1934
Place: Newcastle
Source: Sydney Morning Herald
Details: James Mackie, founder of the Newcastle furniture firm of J. Mackie and Co., Ltd., died on Friday at his home at Waratah. Mr. Mackie was born at Ballarat (Vic.) in 1853. He went to Sydney as a young man, and estab- lished his business in Newcastle in 1897. He led the movement for the earlier closing of retail shops in the Newcastle district. At a time when some shops were staying open till as late as 11 p.m. He adopted the 6 p.m. closing time for his own business about twelve months before the State Government brought early closing legislation into force. Mr. Mackie was a prominent Freemason and a keen bowler. Patron of the Newcastle District Bowling As- sociation and of the Muswellbrook Bowling Club, he was also president of the Waratah Bowling Club for some years. Mrs. Mackie, three sons, and eight daughters survive him. The funeral took place to Sandgate Cemetery yesterday.
161637
Surname: Madgwick (obit.,)
First Name: Rev. W.M
Ship: -
Date: 17 October 1931
Place: Bendigo
Source: SMH
Details: OBITUARY. REV. W. M. MADGWICK. The death has occurred of the Rev. W. M. Madgwick, formerly rector of Long Bay and Matraville, and chaplain to Long Bay Prison, at Bendigo, Victoria. Mr. Madgwick was a native of Glen William, near Dungog, and was a son of the principal of a Church school in Sydney. He was ordained by Bishop Langley when he was 58 years of age, and ministered in several parishes in Victoria before coming to Sydney. He returned to Bendigo eight years ago, and was appointed chap Iain to the local gaol, the hospital, and benevolent asylum, and held these offices at the time of his death. For 50 years he was a member of the Masonic Lodge, Holding office as Worshipful Master and grand chaplain, and for 50 years was associated with the Manchester Unity Oddfellows. He leaves a widow and five children-the Rev. E. C. Madgwick (rector of Pyrmont), Messrs. William and Reginald Madgwick, and Mesdames Drewett and Moore.
197370
Surname: Magney (obit)
First Name: Herman Augustine
Ship: -
Date: 7 August 1897
Place: Woollhara
Source: The Catholic Press
Details: After a protracted illness Mr. Herman Augustine Magney died at his residence, Tarella, Edgecliffe-road, Woollhara, on Saturday night at the age of 49 years. Mr. Magney was a staunch Catholic, and one of his greatest pleasures was to assist with his fine voice in the choirs of the parishes of the eastern districts and at all other functions where he felt his services were any avail in advancing the cause of religion and charity. As a token of respect to his memory the Dead March in Saul was played at the conclusion of the 11 o clock Mass at St. Josephs, Woollhara, on Sunday. Mr Magney, who leaves a mother, sister and three brothers, one being Alderman T. Magney (Mayor of Woollhara was one of the founders of the Waverley Bowling Club, though for the past two years he has been playing with the City Club. The funeral took place on Monday afternoon, the remains being interred in the Waverley Cemetery
197371
Surname: Magney (obit)
First Name: Rosalinda
Ship: -
Date: 15 January 1925
Place: Woollara
Source: Freemans Journal
Details: The death of Miss Rosalinda Magney took place on Christmas Day (December 25), after a long Illness, which she endured with great fortitude and resignation to God s holy will. She had the spiritual ministrations of the Rev. Father O Connor, of St. Patrick s, Bondi, and died a most peaceful and happy death. The deceased lady was born at Singleton, but spent the most of her life in Sydney and many years at Bondi. Hey. brothers were the late Mr. Martin Magney, Herman Magney, Tom Magney (Mayor of Woollahra), and John Bede Magney, of Pacific View, Ocean Street, Bondi. Miss Magney s beautiful and kind disposition and her charity and benevolence won her the hearts of all whom she would meet in her daily life. She was a most devout Catholic and helper to every charity. Miss Magney was the last surviving member of her family, who were very well respected in Sydney for many years.
198650
Surname: Mahoney (obit)
First Name: George Joseph
Ship: -
Date: 16 October 1869
Place: Bowling Alley, Peel River
Source: Maitland Mercury
Details: Death, suddenly on 3rd October 1869, at the early age of 22 years of disease of the heart at the Bowling Alley, Peel River, George Joseph Mahoney, son of T. J. Mahony, teacher of the Provisional School at Rosebrook, West Maitland, leaving a large circle of friends and acquaintances to mourn his premature death, by whom he was universally esteemed and beloved for his exemplary and blameless life. The deceased was Presidence of the Oddfellows Society and shadowed forth in the buoyant hope of youth a useful and honorable career, when it pleased God to call him hence. His funeral cortege was one of the largest ever witnessed at the Peel, being followed to his final resting place at Nundle by all sections of the community