Charles Hughes was formerly innkeeper at the Woolpack Inn at West Maitland. He ran into financial difficulties in the depression of 1843-44 and the Woolpack Inn at West Maitland was advertised for lease around this time. Household furniture and bar fixtures were advertised for auction in 1844.
Charles Hughes held the license for the Woolpack Inn at Anvil Creek between 1844 and 1849.
Hunter Valley Inns were often the venue for public meetings........ In 1845 William Bowen had offered an acre of land to be conveyed free of expense to the Lord Bishop of Australia for the purpose of building a church. A meeting was held at the Woolpack Inn on 26th of September to appoint a Committee of Management. Those attending the meeting included: Mr. Lloyd, Helenus Scott, John William Penn Blick, Charles Ferdinand Hamilton Smith, Mr. Roberts, Mr. Thornton, Henry Kesterton, William Bowen, Robert Barrington Dawson and Joseph B. Holmes 
Charles Hughes was granted a licence for the Ship Inn on the Singleton Road at Anvil Creek in 1851.
Bryan Egan formerly of the Robin Hood at Jerry's Plains, was granted a licence for the Woolpack Inn at Anvil Creek in 1850 with the condition that he was to provide sufficient accommodation for horses.