Free Settler or Felon
Convict and Colonial History

The Junction Inn

Raymond Terrace

George Adam Oliver was granted a publican's licence for the Junction Inn in 1836 - 1838

Charles Dee

Charles Dee was granted a publican's licence in June 1839. Charles Dee had arrived in Sydney from Hobart on the William Metcalf in 1834. He was granted a publican's licence for the Junction Inn in June 1839. He was also employed as pound keeper at Raymond Terrace in 1839. Charles Dee was still publican in August 1840 when a general meeting of the Subscribers of the Church and Parsonage Fund held at the Inn. Find out more about Charles Dee here

John Gilmore

In June 1841 John Gilmore was granted a licence for the Junction Inn.

John Hart

John Hart was proprietor at the Junction Inn by 1842. In 1843 he advertised for a dray and team of working bullocks with bows, yokes and chains (3). In April 1846 he decided to refurbish the building and advertised for plasterers to tender for the contract of plastering the two storied house (2) In September 1846 he was seriously injured outside his house. He had been summoned for jury duty at the Assizes in Maitland and while running to catch the steamer, which was passing his house at the time, he tripped on a stone and fell with great force against the ground. He received a serious wound over the eye and was unconscious for a time rendering him unable to attend the Circuit court (4)

Two months later the papers reported his death: On Tuesday morning last Mr. Hart, publican, of the Junction Inn, Raymond Terrace was missed from his house when the family rose from their beds. The matter was the more serious as his clothes that he had worn on the preceding day were found lying about his bedroom in the same position, seemingly, as when he had thrown them off him on the preceding night. From these circumstances as well as from the fact of footsteps having been found on the river bank, it was surmised that he had either fallen or thrown himself into the river.

Boats were immediately employed to drag the river in that neighbourhood; and the Rose steamer, in passing the same morning, fired a gun, in the hope that it would raise the body, but without effect. Towards one o'clock in the afternoon, however, the body was found near the punt wharf.

Megginson Hall

Megginson Hall was granted a publican's licence in 1847 - 1853. He died in 1853. Margaret Hall was granted the licence in 1854.

Notes and Links

The Junction Inn - Newcastle Photo Bank

In June 1841 Charles Dee was granted a licence for the Wheatsheaf Arms at Hexham. In June 1843 - 1847 he was granted a licence for the Freemason's Arms in Raymond Terrace. He was granted an auctioneer's licence in 1848. In 1849 he took over the publican's licence recently held by James Holdstock for the Steam Packet Inn at Raymond Terrace. In 1854 and 1855 Charles Dee was granted a licence for the Golden Fleece at Stroud and in 1860 a licence under the sign of the Stroud Hotel.

Charles Dee died at Stroud in 1873.

Obituary of Charles Dee - (From our Correspondent.) I regret to have to report the death of an old colonist, and esteemed resident of this place. Mr Charles Dee, Senr, died yesterday morning at about three o'clock, after an illness of more than six weeks' duration. As he was well known in this part, and also in the neighbourhood of the Hunter a few remarks with reference to his eventful and useful career may prove gratifying to old friends, and probably may not be deemed an inappropriate tribute to the memory of one whose varied attributes enabled him, at all times, to take a prominent part in contributing towards the advancement of the community in which be lived.

Mr Dee was born in Surrey, England Having joined the army in his youth, he came to this colony in the year 1827, being one of a draft for the 57th Regiment then quartered in Sydney Some short time after his arrival at head quarters, a portion of this regiment was ordered to Van Dieman's Land, now Tasmania, where the company to which he belonged, with other troops, and the inhabitants (who had been called out by a proclamation issued by the then Governor) were engaged in quelling the blacks, who had been guilty of many atrocities. The call was unanimously responded to, and together with the military forty-six thousand men turned out, the object being to capture the blacks, which after some trouble was eventually accomplished

They were afterwards placed on an island in the straits, where they were supplied by the Government with the necessaries of life.

Mr Dee also took a prominent part in the capture of a notorious gang of bushrangers, of the vilest dye, who had spread terror throughout the land. After returning to Sydney his regiment was ordered on to India, where during two years he saw some sharp service under General Callaghan. He was engaged in one battle when thirty thousand men, after hard fighting, gained a complete victory over eighty thousand of the enemy.

His regiment was afterwards ordered home, where he obtained his discharge. In 1834 he again landed at Sydney, where he commenced afresh the battle of life. Becoming connected with the Steam Navigation Co , he brought his energy to bear in catering for the public, and in a short time made a considerable pile.

He afterwards settled at Raymond Terrace, where his public spirit enabled him to achieve some good. A few years after he came to live here, where he considerably added to his savings, but possessing rather a speculative turn of mind he invested largely in the A A Co 'e horses, by which, in consequence of this description of stock becoming depreciated, he lost a considerable sum

With energy, which almost up to the last held its sway, did he battle with adverse times, and I believe he has left his family in comfortable circumstances. Coming from a famous cricketing county he did not disgrace his fraternity in handling the willow, and with the bowling in his hands, one was never sure that the balls would remain in status quo at the termination of an over. I can testify to those insidious three quarter balls which, to all appearance, would be going wide of the wicket, then all at once come screwing down with terrible certainty on the near stump Liberal to his relations, and accommodating to his neighbours, he will be missed as a friend, he will be equally missed in this small community, where he was the main spring to set in motion and assist in bringing about all those little reunions so desirable to encourage, particularly in isolated places, and to further the success of which he did not spare his own time, nor hide his talents under a bushel. What will afford his mourning friends consolation is, the belief that he is gone to that better land, trusting to the merits of his Saviour for redemption The funeral of our late respected towns- man took place this afternoon, and was largely attended.
Maitland Mercury 4 October 1873


[1] New South Wales, Australia, Certificates for Publicans' licences, 1830-1849, 1853-1860

[2] Maitland Mercury 11 April 1846

[3] Maitland Mercury 4 February 1843

[4] Maitland Mercury 19 September 1846