Hunter Valley Inns and Hotels
The Newington Butts - Singleton
George MillerIn 1847 on the road to Maitland from Singleton George Robert Miller opened a new public house at Newington, known as the Newington Butts Inn. Race meetings were fequently held at the rear of the house and usually wound up with a Ball at the Inn.
He placed the following advertisement in the Maitland Mercury:
George Miller in returning thanks to the up country settlers graziers and the public in general for the patronage and support they have extended towards him during the time his accommodation paddocks have been established begs further to inform them that on and after the 1st July next he intends opening the house thereon under the sign of the Newington Butts Inn, when every exertion on his part will be used in catering for the comfort of travellers and the greatest care in the selection of superior wines spirits and malt liquors; together with a plentiful supply of forage for horses GM would beg further to intimate that he has reduced his charged to the following low rate of prices Horses in the paddock 2d per night Working bullocks paddock 1 1/2d per night Fat Bullocks 1d per night A good stand for an entire during the season and well watered paddocks for mares.
Following the death of his young wife Mary Anne, who died in February 1849 after a long illness, leaving a family of six children, George Miller is said to have closed this house.  However there was still an Inn known as the Newington Butts in November 1850 when Rev. John Dunmore Lang paid a visit to Singleton where he met with some of the Singleton inhabitants at the Inn. After partaking of a light refreshment he was escorted the four miles into Singleton.
The White Conduit House - Donnybrook FairIn September 1849 George Miller had the licence for the Newington Butts transferred to Larnach's Flat where he opened another Inn under the name of the White Conduit House. 
The White Conduit House was formerly known as the Donnybrook Fair.
David FalknerDavid Falkner was granted a general licence for the Shamrock, Rose and Thistle Inn, formerly known as the Newington Butts Inn, situated on the Maitland Road in December 1850.
Notes and LinksSingleton Landmark
References Maitland Mercury 21 February 1849 .
 Maitland Mercury 13 November 1850
 Singleton Argus (NSW : 1880 - 1954) Sat 26 May 1928
 Maitland Mercury 7 December 1850