Governor Gipps stayed at the Inn on his trip to the Hunter in 1844 before moving on to Jerry's Plains to stay at Richard Alcorn's Queen Victoria Inn.
In 1846 Thomas Cullen advertised the Inn for lease. It was in full trade and possession could be given immediately. Applications were to be made to the proprietor on the premises. 
Alexander Munro took over the Inn in 1847. He re-named it The Governor Fitzroy in honor of the Governor Sir Charles Fitzroy who visited the township and the Inn in 1847.
In time the Inn became known as the Fitzroy. Alexander Munro was granted a license again in 1848
The old Fitzroy Inn had many uses. According to historian W.J. Goold it was at the Fitzroy on 25th September 1848 at the race meeting that it was decided to form the Singleton Jockey Club; and in 1850 at a meeting of the Catholics of Singleton in the long room that arrangements were made for the buildling of a church.
It was at the Fitzroy in November 1847 that William Francis King (alias The Ladies Walking Flying Pieman), put up on his arrival in Singleton. He had been performing some wonderful feats of endurance in Sydney and Maitland and was famous throughout the colony. A large crowd followed him from the Inn to the Race course on 11th November 1847.
In December 1849 Munro transferred the publican's license from the Fitzroy Hotel to the Caledonian Hotel which was previously under the sign of the the Sir Thomas Mitchell Inn.
Samuel Caldwell formerly of the Albert Hotel in Aberdeen announced that he was re-opening the Fitzroy Hotel at Singleton in 1849
 State Archives NSW; Series: 14401; Item: [4/64]; Reel: 5051 1833 Ancestry.com. New South Wales, Australia, Certificates for Publicans' Licences