Free Settler or Felon
Convict and Colonial History

The Crown and Anchor Inn

New Freugh

The Crown and Anchor Inn was situated seven miles from Singleton. John Kerrigan was publican at the Crown and Anchor in the years 1843 - 1846.

In 1844 ticket of Leave holder William Low (ship Strathfieldsaye 1836), was indicted for stealing a quantity of silver money a fowling piece belonging to John Kerrigan. The Maitland Mercury reported the trial - From the evidence of Mr. Kerrigan and his wife, between eight and nine o'clock in the evening when they had retired to rest, a knock was heard at the door, and Mr. Kerrigan procuring a light from the servant girl, who was still up, opened the door. William Low presented a carbine at him, compelling him to give up his trousers, the pockets of which he emptied and then proceeded to the bedroom ordering Mr. K to go outside by the back door where there was another man with a musket as sentry. The prisoner then ransacked the house and Mr. K did not return inside till he and the other man went away. They had taken silver, a fowling piece, a day book, coat, spirits, ale and porter. Mr. Kerrigan did not see prisoner again until May 1845 when he had a booth as a publican at Patrick Plains races; he then saw the prisoner in front of this booth and recognized him [1].William Low was sentenced to 15 years transportation. He was sent to Cockatoo Island in September 1845.

In 1847 Kerrigan left the Crown and Anchor : John Kerrigan late of the Crown and Anchor Inn, New Freugh near Singleton most respectfully returns his sincere thanks to his numerous friends and the public for the very liberal support which he received during the last four years while in business in the above house; and begs to inform his old customers and the inhabitants of Maitland that he has removed to the Bucks Head Inn [2] .

In 1849 John Kerrigan took out the license for the Sportsman's Arms in West Maitland.

William Ramsey

William Ramsey, former lock-up keeper at Singleton was granted a license for the Crown and Anchor in 1847 and remained until 1851.


[1] Maitland Mercury 13 September 1845

[2] Maitland Mercury 3 March 1847