Plashett - Map 6
James Robertson was born in 1781 in Renfrewshire, Scotland.
Arrival in AustraliaHe arrived in Australia with his wife Anna Maria nee Ripley and children on the Providence in 1822.
Hunter Valley settler John Laurio Platt and his family also arrived as free settlers on the Providence.
Superintendent of Government ClocksJames Robertson was a watchmaker and on arrival was employed as Superintendent of Government Clocks in Sydney.
Land GrantsHe received a land grant on the north shore of Sydney Harbour, known today as Robertson's Point, (Cremorne). He was granted 1000 acres by Governor Brisbane in 1824 and another 1000 acres was reserved for purchase. He took up this land at Jerry's Plains.
Plashett and StrowanThe land to the north of the Hunter River came to be known as 'Plashett and the land on the south as 'Strowan'. Plashett may have been first been known as Whitfield, however was re-named Plashett after the property of his wife's father, Plashett Park in Essex, England. Strowan was part of a primary grant to John Hoskins
FamilyThe children of James Robertson and Anna Maria Ripley included:
1. James Brand Ritchie Robertson born 1810
2. Catherine Maria Robertson b. 1812.
3. Brisbane Robertson born 1814 married Caroline, the eldest daughter of Sampson Marshall in November 1844 at Plashett. Died at Louisa Creek in August 1853
4. John Robertson born 1816 and married Margaret Davies. John managed Plashett in the 1840s. He later became an eminent politician in New South Wales being elected Premier several times.
5. Lavalette Robertson was born in 1818 and married Dr. Henry Graham
6. Sarah Janet Robertson married Brent Clement Rodd on 18 May 1839 at Plashett
7. Agnes Barr Robertson was born in 1823 and died in 1909
8. Glen Ripley Robertson was born in 1825.
Employees and assigned convicts
City of Edinburgh 1832
Royal Admiral 1833
Prince Regent 1824
Captain Cook 1832
Forth 1830 (II)
Came free. Employed as Overseer
Came free per Dick. Employed as labourer
Marquis of Hastings 1826
Katherine Stewart Forbes 1830
Marquis of Huntley 1835