Free Settler or Felon
Convict and Colonial History

Convict Ship Gaillardon - 1839

Embarked: 16 men
Voyage: 4 months
Deaths: 1
Surgeon's Journal: no
Previous vessel: Blenheim arrived 27 September 1839
Next vessel: Mary Anne arrived 10 November 1839
Captain Rapson

The Gaillardon transported sixteen convicts to New South Wales in 1839. Cargo included 1500 bags of wheat, 800 bags of rice and sugar.

Parbury's Oriental Herald advertised the imminent departure of the Gaillardon in July 1839....A favourable opportunity now presents itself to all persons who are desirous to go to New South Wales by the Gaillardon, and those so disposed, have no time to lose, as the vessel has nearly all her cabins engaged. The annual arrival of this fine vessel at Madras, and the manner in which she has executed her former voyage, amply testified by the encomiums and presents bestowed upon Captain Rapson by his passengers, for his urbanity of manners and kind attention towards their comforts, whilst leaving all their luxuries in the East for a more moderate fare in the new Colonies, can leave no doubt in the minds of persons proceeding in the Gailardon of the kind receiption they will meet with. We learn that Colonel Breton, 4th or King's Own, Dr. Hicks, Mr. Clerk and several others, whose names we forget embarked on board the Gaillardon as soon as the convicts, which she has tendered for and expected are sent on board

Free Passengers

Passengers included the above mentioned Colonel Henry William Breton, 4th regiment, Miss Stewart, Dr. Hicks, Lieut. Mocklin, Bengal Infantry, Mr. Young and 16 convicts (military convicts from India).


The Gaillardon departed Calcutta 16th June 1839 and sailed via Hobart where she arrived on 11th October 1839.

One of the men, Bryan Noonan died near Hobart on 15th September on the voyage to New South Wales.

Port Jackson

The Gaillardon arrived in Port Jackson on Tuesday 22 October 1839

The Convicts

At least thirteen of the prisoners of the Gaillardon were born in Ireland. They were court-martialled in Madras, Bombay, Secunderabad and Kamptdee for crimes such as striking an officer, shooting with intent, manslaughter, attempting to strike a colonel and purchasing stolen property.

Two prisoners on the Gaillardon have been identified in the Hunter Valley - William Moss and Charles Sheehan..........

William Moss was 30 years old and married with five children. He had been employed as a cook and butler, and bugle serjeant in the Artillery. He was convicted of manslaughter at a Secunderabad Court Martial on 23 July 1838 and sentenced to 7 years transportation. He was granted a ticket of leave for the Paterson district in May 1842.

Charles Sheehan was 25 years old and a single man. He was born in Co. Carlow, Ireland and was a labourer and soldier of the 48th regiment. He was sentenced at Deesa Bombay on 9th August 1838 to 14 years transportation for striking a corporal. He obtained a ticket of leave for the district of Dungog in 1845 however the ticket was cancelled as he was unable to support himself, being insane.

Notes and Links

1). Hunter Valley convicts arriving on the Gaillardon in 1839

2). The Gaillardon also brought convicts to New South Wales in 1838