Abode: Honeysuckle Point, Newcastle
Register Book of Christ Church Cathedral, Newcastle. Baptisms. p.75
Son of William and Eliza Gilbert. Baptism
The Newcastle Sun
LATE JOHN GILBERT Newcastle Pioneer The death of Mr. John Gilbert at his home at Mayfield at the age of 70 years removes one of Newcastle s oldest identities. Born in one of the old buildings in King-street at present being demolished for the new Town Hall, Mr. Gilbert resided for many years at the Honeysuckle Point settlement until it was taken over by the Railway Commissioners, who erected the present workshops on the site. In the days when coaches, sulkies and two-decker buses comprised the majority of vehicles in Hunter-street, Mr. Gilbert, with his brother George, set up a coach building business in Hunter street, on the edge of Cottage Creek. With the advent of the motor car the business was turned into that side of the vehicular trade, and later on floated into a limited liability company. FORMER MAYOR - Mr. Gilbert was also actively connected with the municipal affairs of Newcastle and Wickham, and in fact took a lively interest in all public affairs. He was an alderman of Wickham Council for 15 years, and on three occasions occupied the mayoral chair. This position he also held once during an eight yearn term as an alderman of the Newcastle Council. Church matters also claimed a large Interest in Mr. Gilbert s life. From superintendent of the Wickham Methodist Church he became a local preacher, which position he hold until his health failed, after 50 years of service. He was the prime mover in having the Maitland-road Methodist Church erected and with one exception attended every annual conference in Sydney for 50 years. Mr. Gilbert was also a candidate for Parliament on three occasions, the last time being beaten by the ex leader of the Federal Parliamentary Labor Party, Mr. M. Charlton. He leaves a widow (by a second marriage), two sons, Messrs. F. B. Gilbert, of Hamilton South, and Harrie Gilbert, of Mayfield, and five daughters, Mrs. J. H. Roberts (Croydon Park), Mrs. P. A. Spence (Newcastle), Mrs. G. Schroder (Toronto), Mrs.. S. Robertson (of Enfield, Sydney), and Miss (Sister) A Gilbert, of the Sydney Childrens Hospital.
John and George
The Aldine centennial history of New South Wales illustrated / W. Frederic Morrison Morrison, W. Frederic Sydney. The Aldine Publishing Company, 1888
GILBERT BROS. Coach and Buggy Factory, Blane-street.-This firm-consisting of John and George Gilbert, who had learned their trade in the city, and had worked in other parts of the colony-was established in 1881, in a small way, only employing two or three hands. It gradually progressed, and now occupies large premises, and employs about thirty hands, turning out first-class sociables , carriages, buggies, lorries, American wagons, and every other product of a leading coach factory. It has the most modern appliances, and covers an extent of land 66ft. in frontage, by a depth of 165ft., being the largest coach factory in the district.